Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Can't turn the key

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Default Can't turn the key

I just bought a 98 silverado1500 work truck. The seller said he thought the key was worn out. I had the dealer make a new key and I am still having trouble. Most of the time when I get in and try to turn the key, it will not turn. I have turned the wheel, played with the shifter and just plain wiggled the key to no avail. Then it just goes easy for no reason. Once in a while I get lucky and it goes first try. Do I need a new lock assy? If so can anyone tell me how to remove it? Sure would appreciate the help. I bought this truck for my daughter and she is leaving for college soon....Help

Old 08-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Default RE: Can't turn the key

I would first shoot some graphite powder into the lock and run the key in and out briskly to see if it will lube and free up the tumblers.

DON'T use WD40 or any wet lubes as they can possibly gum up the mech. and or cause shorts in the turn signal, lights or cruise control. Likewise vasoline and any automotive grease is out.

I have replaced the assemb. many times they are not terribly difficult. You just have to have a good wheel puller and lots of patience. You also have to EXTREMELY careful if you have an Airbag. These things can be set off accidently and can really pack an Ali sized punch... Careless Voice of Experience talking.

If you do it yourself ALWAYS disconnect the battery first....Again Careless Voice of Experience talking.

Post back if you want some sites with picts on how it is done. It may take me a day or two to get the links but there are some good sites and picts out there.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:03 AM

One... or two more thoughts.

It might be good to shoot an electrical/electronics spray liquid cleaner in the lock to wash out any crud before using the graphite. You can get these cleaners at most Parts stores and even hardware elecrical departments.

These are made to clean electrical components and use a liquid that completely evaporates leaving no residue behind. Put a rag under the column and spray heavily into the lock. A bunch of black liquid will come out all over the column so be ready to wipe it up. This is the remains of the last owner's attempt to "Lube" away the problem with many of the aforementioned NoNo products.

You may want to test the spray on some obscure place on the column to make sure it will not damage paint or plastic. It's not suppose to, but it is always wise to make sure

Once dry (I would give it a couple hours just to make sure) pump in the graphite powder and run the key in and out briskly and turn it forward and backward. repeatedly.

You can get the graphite at some parts stores, hardware stores, and hobby shops.

I will look for those sites and picts. just in case.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:21 PM

Thanks Skip, I will try that and let you know how things go. John

Old 08-06-2006, 07:58 PM

Skip, I tried the cleaner and graphite. No luck. Could you please send me the links and pics. Thanks, John

Old 08-10-2006, 01:25 PM

Yes I can. Sorry
I've been away for a few days.
I'll try to get those to you today.

Skip