Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

looking to upgrade some options

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Default looking to upgrade some options

i just bought a 2007 chev silverado half ton with the 4.8 v8. it is a beautiful looking truck and i am really happy with it. i bought it after my 99 gmc sierra got written off. at first i didnt mind the transition between the two, but its kinda a pain now. my 99 was a half ton too but with the 5.3L and loaded with options. i dont mind the switch to the 4.8L especially with gas prices being so crazy right now, but my 07's lack of power windows is a bothersome sometimes. i was just wondering how hard it would be to change over from manual to power windows or if its just a waste of time to try. also i found a navigation/dvd factory gm stereo system with back up cam on ebay and was wondering how hard it would be to put something like that on. im guessing ill just get told i should have bought one with all the options.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

you would have to get new interior panels or guts for the door for power and also you will have t get a wiring harness from somewhere not sure where then follow them insturctions as i have never converted any manual doors into power but i have one the power to manual cause i neede some doors an didnt care if they were power or not

Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I did an older truck (1999 OBS) and the only way I would do it is with a donor truck. I found one in the junk yard that the owner let me have my way with. I took my time and removed everything that was power window and door lock related. The interior was even the same color so I got the door panels too. If it wouldn't have been for that donor, I wouldn't have even attempted it. I got lucky and the owner of the junkyard let me have everything I needed for $350. It took me a day to strip the donor and a day to put it all in mine. You would never have known the truck didn't come from the factory that way when I was done.
There are aftermarket kits, but they just don't look right to me.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 PM

thanks for the info guys! looks like i got a lot of work ahead of me if i wanna try this conversion. hopefully i can find a donor vehicle to steal parts from for a decent price

Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 PM
TruckForum Addict

i would suggest finding out where the nearest junkyard is and or where the insurance companies take the totaled vehcals to after a wreck you may be able to get a totaled truck with good wiring for less then 500 bucks
i know that they sell totaled out vehicals for parts where im from for 500 or less

Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by grantnv11
. im guessing ill just get told i should have bought one with all the options.
YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT ONE WITH ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES

It's gonna be a huge job after you buy the doors.

To update your radio to Navigation, DVD, CD player, XM radio you will need the corresponding RPO option codes UQA U42 and UE1

Last edited by In2Trux; 06-13-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM

i havent had any luck in finding a donor truck to get parts from. they want me to buy the whole truck but its just too much money. mr. shamrock had mentioned there are aftermarket kits you can get for power windows? does anyone know where from? like what sites i could look at?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM

And from what I understand, the radios with the Navigation, you need to continue XM service( and pay for it) as long as you want your Nav maps to update.