Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

LP or CNG conversions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Default LP or CNG conversions?

I heard about LP conversions the other day and was curious if anyone has heard of or seen this. Supposedly it's supposed to burn cleaner, make your oil last longer, run cooler, and ultimately cost last and extend the life of your motor. On the other hand, I've seen a CNG conversion once, but it was poorly done and ended up burning up because of leaks.

Just curious about anyones thoughts - pros or cons?
Thanks

Old 03-29-2007, 12:40 AM
Default RE: LP or CNG conversions?

i work with lp/gas engines all day long, yes your engine does tipicly last longer on propane but you with have less power. your oil with stay cleaner but you with find that water may get into it. i can't tell you if the engine runs cooler (cause we dont really have gauges on all our equipment) but it would not surprise me a bit.

i would say that if you driving back and forth to work or running erands around town a propane fuel system would be perfect, if your towing then you might want to stick with gas. chevy and a few other manufactures sell propane conversion kits.

the equipment i work on also has a switchso that you can choose if you want to run on propane or gas, all you have to do is turn the engine off andturn the switch.