Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Made an exhaust error maybe lol :( Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Default Made an exhaust error maybe lol :( Help!

So, I am new to the forums hello all. I have 98 silverado 1500 z71 4x4. It has the 350 vortech and when I got it had the single stock exhaust. It had to go lol so I got a dual exhaust system put on it from the cats back with no mufflers on 2 1/4 pipe. Sounded alright but I wanted something a little louder that I could get on to make loud but if i didnt give a lot of gas it would be able to float past cops without much notice.

So I had a friend remove my catalytic converters. Now, if anyone tells you that it wont make much of a difference like my exhaust people told me, they are definitely wrong. Now it's just crazy I can't move it from 10-25 without it being way too loud no matter how slow I hit the gas pedal.

I noticed I have a few leaks from where he put the clamps on the replacement pipe. Could that be it? As far as I can tell most the sound is coming from the tailpipes but I will have my lady drive it around the block tomorrow and follow her along side and see how it is.

I have a friend with a 95 with the same setup, and its not like this. My exhaust is true duals from the manifolds back, pure straight pipe. Now you might say "hey, you wanted loud and you got it" or "what do you expect from having no mufflers or anything to restrict the sound" I know, I know. But I have friends and my dad with a 351w in his f350 with the same setup and its loud, dont get me wrong but he can give it some gas and its not obnoxious. It sounds like I am always getting on it and I just dont know if leaks in the exhaust will make it get loud like that.

I have tips that run out at a 45 degree on both sides so that doesnt help in the small town. But what would be the alternative that would keep it a little tamer but I still want it loud with lots of cackle. Thanks for any help!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 AM
Administrator

I did the same setup to my old 92 after someone stole the CAT off of it. I ran straight pipes into some resonator tips. If you've not heard of them, they do a great job at quieting the truck down when you're running under 2000rpm, but once you gun it it's worthless.

lmctruck.com has the tips that I used

Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Or try a MagnaFlow in place of were the Cat was