Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual door locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 03:59 PM
Beginner
Default Manual door locks

My 1995 C1500 WT has the usual rust on the bottom.... not bad... but I did buy lower door skins to replace them...

Then I found two doors from Texas, rust free, wrong color.... so pulled the interior panels and am now doing some body work and will paint them... When I was watching a video on how to remove the door handles, I realized something... After I install the Texas doors on my truck, I will not have a key to open the locks if they are accidentally locked.. Sure, I could transfer the locks from my truck to the Texas doors... lots of work and I never ever use the door locks... and never will... but I don't want to take any chances... I have grandchildren so I suspect you can understand the implications of not being able to unlock the truck...

What I would like to do is to just disable the locks on the Texas doors before I put them back together and install them...I looked/googled how to disable manual locks on this series of trucks but found nothing. I looked for a schematic/diagram of the manual lock system and found nothing.... So I think I know how they work but if someone can confirm this or send me a diagram/schematic it would be helpful... I suspect there is a rod on the red lever lock on the door panel and when you press the lock down to lock the door, it pushes a series of rods to the locking device... so I am then guessing that all I have to do is find a way to disable that rod????

Any ideas? suggestions? All are appreciated..... .Thanks......