Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

missing in number 7

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Beginner
Default missing in number 7

hey im new here a little help . i have a 98 chev half ton with a 5.0 and im having a issue when i stop truck seems to surge and sputter when trying to take off . i had scanned and its saying miss on cyl 7 and o2 sensor.
now im stumped tech doesnt want to solve issue just wants to start slamming parts in . there telling me there going to start with plugs wires cap rotor and that may or may not solve it . now i recall an issue i had in the past with my dodge where i would drive and it would fall on its face stutter and back fire and it turned out to be o2 sensor. i unplugged problem solved . but im not sure if dodge and chev are remotely close in this issue .

so any help would be great before i allow my tech to just start slamming parts on the truck

please help

Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Ford and Dodge Truck Forum Moderator

If you have a misfire on #7 then this should be the DTC that comes up.

A P0307 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #7.

Symptoms may include:

the engine may be harder to start
the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
other symptoms may also be present

Causes

A code P0307 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

Possible Solutions

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Last edited by Worf; 02-15-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 PM
TruckForum Addict

Honestly, replacing the distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs are a great way to basically eliminate an ignition related misfire. He could get a spark tester and test the spark on that cylinder before he just throw parts at it, but it all depends on his style of repair.

You can definitely try unplugging your O2 sensor. It may or may not produce any results.

Really he just needs to make sure you have good spark and fuel going into that cylinder.