Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Muffler suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Beginner
Default Muffler suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and want to apologize if I happened to have missed an answer to my questions in my searches. I browsed the FAQ section but didn't find anything that helped me out.

I purchased a new 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extended Cab LTZ. It's got a 5.3L v8 engine. I want to make it obvious that I don't know squat about cars, trucks, or anything mechanical. I'm about as noob as they get.

I want to take my truck to a shop to have a new muffler/exhaust put in. I'm mainly interested in my truck sounding like a beast (while both idle and accelerating at high RPMs) without spending too much money. I've been told glasspacks are terrible (although affordable). To my untrained ears, however, they sound pretty decent on a v8 truck, although I'm not sure how it would sound on mine, especially when the v4 kicks in on the highway.

Again, since I don't know a lot about trucks/mechanics, I also am probably oblivious to prices for these things, but I was hoping not going over $200 for something that meets my expectations isn't too unreasonable, but I'm hoping someone can educate me on this as well.

When I go to the shop, I probably need to be able to tell them what I want to have put on. I'm hoping you guys can tell me what muffler/exhaust brand to get based on your experiences. If it increases fuel economy, that's great, but I mainly want a very loud, deep, monster sound!

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

For loud and deep tone, flowmaster has been chosen for that, magnaflow is a little quieter, glass packs wont sound too bad on these new trucks but you get more rasp. You might try cherrybomb xtreme. You can also go to the magnaflow website and hear sound samples. Or you tube has alot of video clips so you can get an idea of what you might want. Glad to have ya on the forum!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
For loud and deep tone, flowmaster has been chosen for that, magnaflow is a little quieter, glass packs wont sound too bad on these new trucks but you get more rasp. You might try cherrybomb xtreme. You can also go to the magnaflow website and hear sound samples. Or you tube has alot of video clips so you can get an idea of what you might want. Glad to have ya on the forum!
Thanks for the response. I listened to Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and cherry bombs on Youtube and I like the cherry bomb sound the best. It has a deep rumble, which I like.

I called my local Midas Muffler shop in Plano, TX to check prices. The guy there was really trying to sell me on a Flowmaster, which I honestly wasn't interested in. I told him I wanted to check prices for a cherry bomb muffler. The "package pricing" he gave me for the Flowmaster duels (so he called it) was $329 + tax (he said it was a 40 series Flowmaster). That included 2 tips, labor, and the muffler itself. Everything included.

I was surprised to find, however, that his "off the top of his head" quote for the cherry bombs would be around $320-$350 (I don't think this includes tips either!), which I think is ridiculous. I see cherry bombs going for $40-$70 online with just a quick google search.

How do these prices sound? I'm by no means experienced, so I don't know if these prices are reasonable.

EDIT:
He was also telling me that the cherry bomb is going to be "way louder" because it has "less padding", and he was trying to make it sound like a bad thing. He mentioned you would hear a lot more in the cab. I don't know if that's such a bad thing though. As long as it doesn't overwhelm my radio I think it should be fine

Last edited by void.pointer; 06-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Thats a descent price. The best I seen is $250 but $300 is common. Trust me you will like it though. If you order online a Cherry Bomb Xtreme muffler just have them put it on.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Beginner

Thats a descent price. The best I seen is $250 but $300 is common. Trust me you will like it though. If you order online a Cherry Bomb Xtreme muffler just have them put it on.
Doing a quick search for "cherry bomb xtreme" yields this website that I found:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Cherry-Bomb/Ch...67133/10002/-1

Which of these would you recommend? they have different ones and I'm not sure which will work with my chevy. Also I hear pipe diameter is a factor, and I'm not sure if there are different mufflers for different pipe sizes. Also if you know a website with better prices let me know, otherwise I"ll order from the website I linked.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Beginner

Thanks so much for your help so far. I only have a few more questions.

I ordered the glasspack. However, when I get it in the mail I'm going to want to go to the shop to have it put on. I'm not sure what I should tell them to do. For example, at first thought I figured it would be nice to have the tips come before the back tires, that way they don't get dirty from muck splashing on them from the tires. However, if they go behind the back tires (like they normally do) the pipe would be longer, right? I'm not sure how this affects the sound. A shorter pipe, to me, seems like it would not amplify the muffler sound as well as with a shorter pipe (like if the tips were before the back tires).

What would you recommend? Also, I would like to have dual tips, and I would like to know if creating a Y after the muffler to split into two tips would affect the sound. The only thing I know for sure is that two tips just look better!

Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Ok my friend I have done several set ups on my extended cab and have found so far its better to go all the way back with dual pipes after the muffler. The shop can add a Y pipe after the muffler and ask them to run those 2 as 2 1/2" to the tips. Most do 2 1/4" but the 2 1/2" or even 2 3/4" will help change the tone. The tips need to be at 3 " or even 4" for a deeper tone. This may cost a little more than you wanna spend but you will be satisfied. This will also keep some back pressure and help more with low end to mid range torque since you are running stock. What angle you want to set the tips is up to you. Have them hold the tips at different angles so you can get a visual and decide.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Ok my friend I have done several set ups on my extended cab and have found so far its better to go all the way back with dual pipes after the muffler. The shop can add a Y pipe after the muffler and ask them to run those 2 as 2 1/2" to the tips. Most do 2 1/4" but the 2 1/2" or even 2 3/4" will help change the tone. The tips need to be at 3 " or even 4" for a deeper tone. This may cost a little more than you wanna spend but you will be satisfied. This will also keep some back pressure and help more with low end to mid range torque since you are running stock. What angle you want to set the tips is up to you. Have them hold the tips at different angles so you can get a visual and decide.
Hello again.

I just wanted to let you know that only a couple of days after your last response to my thread, I had my Cherry Bomb Extreme installed. It sounds really great.

I had them put on 2 1/2" pipes, and the tips go straight back and they are 3 1/2". I'm really pleased with the results.

I just wanted to thank you for your help by providing you a video below. I recorded this on my way to work to show you the results of your advice! Thanks again and please enjoy.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 AM

Hey man that sounds niiiiice!!! I have the same muffler but with no cats and let me tell ya, it sounds mean!! Glad to help and also you should notice after about a week it will seem louder. Thats normal.

Quick Reply: Muffler suggestions?