Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Muffler suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM

Very nice...let the mods begin! I have an '09 5.3l and had a SIDO Flowmaster 40 put on...I'm kinda liking the sound of the Cherry Bombs better....

Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Yeah bud get one! I had 2 different flowmasters, magnaflow, vortex, but this extreme is the closest thing to sounding like straight pipes but without the rasp. Ill post a video soon of mine without cats. Right now the tranny is out, puttin a higher stall TQ.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Beginner

Hey, just dropping in to check up. I have a couple of questions again

My muffler definitely sounds different now, it's been a couple of months and it's definitely broken in by now.

I haven't actually heard my truck from the outside yet since I'm the only one that drives it. I'm concerned that it isn't loud enough, I can't be sure.

When I rev the engine in park, it doesn't sound very loud at all, at least from inside the cab. I was expecting an overwhelming loudness inside the truck when I rev it. I'm not sure what it would sound like standing behind the tailgate.

Also, when I'm driving off from a red light it sounds SUPER nice, but when I'm driving 40MPH or 70MPH on streets/highways at a constant RPM, I get a nice hum but nothing that sounds too beast. I guess it's normal? My truck doesn't seem like it would be loud enough to grab people's attention when I pass them in the lanes next to me out on the freeway.

Again, this has all been my experience from inside the cab. I haven't heard my truck on the outside yet, I'm hoping it's much louder & different sounding. Any comments guys?

Last edited by void.pointer; 03-02-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 AM

If you want it louder, do a cat delete. My cats are off and it makes a difference in sound. You could get a ORY(off road y-pipe) for cheap and it just bolts on. But the rear O2 sensors will send a CEL.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
If you want it louder, do a cat delete. My cats are off and it makes a difference in sound. You could get a ORY(off road y-pipe) for cheap and it just bolts on. But the rear O2 sensors will send a CEL.
I'm not really sure what all of this means. What is a CEL? I live in texas and I am required to get my emissions checked annually. If my cat converter is off, won't I fail the test? Also, is this something I can do myself? If so, what tools would I need? I'd hate to have to pay more money. How much louder will this make it?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 AM

If you gotta get emissions testing done then your pretty much limited. Only other thing I can recommend is headers. This will add more power but also changed the tone of the exhaust. I just bought a set of long tubes for $250 with the ORY.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
If you gotta get emissions testing done then your pretty much limited. Only other thing I can recommend is headers. This will add more power but also changed the tone of the exhaust. I just bought a set of long tubes for $250 with the ORY.
So I'm just trying to visualize how this will look under the body.

Right now I have a single pipe running from the cat to the muffler, then after the muffler there's a Y pipe going out to my 2 tailpipes. Are you saying to just chop the cat off and weld in a replacement pipe of equal diameter?

I'm not really sure what an ORY looks like or what it is for. Do you use an ORY when you don't want a muffler? In other words, you just have pipes going from the engine to the back with nothing in-between?

I want my truck to be so loud you can hear it from a mile away when I rev it, but I also want to pass emissions testing. I'm willing to get my cats taken off if there won't be a problem. I live in Collin County, TX (North Dallas). Any idea how strict emissions testing is?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:07 PM

What you could also do is put the tips top come out in front of the right rear tire. Its less pipe to go through so it will be a little louder. The ORY replaces the the piping the cats are on. You see the 2 flanges in front of the cats, then 1 after, thats what it replaces. If you live in a county where you gotta get emission tested I would leave it alone. Coming from experience, being loud is fun for a little while, but the drone gets on your nerves bad! I have it quieter now and will leave it like that for now until I put the headers on this week.