Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

My truck is running like a dog

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Default RE: My truck is running like a dog

I didnt kn ow there is a difference in gas winter mix and summer mix maybe you are right. Well I hope it will adjust and come back because its starting to p*ss me off. I might have to get out on the highway and just open her up a little. I make a lot of short trips. Im just going to run premium for now on and im going to call and find out about a tune.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 AM
TruckForum Addict

I wouldn't do any custom tuning until you get this problem figured out for sure. What happens if you are having some kinda fuel delivery problem and you get a custom tune? Your engine is gonna be calibrated to run a lot more fuel than it's getting and is consequently gonna lean out and run even worse than it is, and worse yet, you could cause serious engine problems. I say atleast get a fuel pressure tester on there before you do anything.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 PM

Run it on the highway. Check the plugs. Tune her up if she needs it. Clean the TB and MAF, wait til the temp settles THEN worry about a tune like 72Charger said. When did you do the fuel filter last?

Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 PM

I havent since I got it in Dec. who knows when the other guy did it. I have to say he did take pretty good care of it allot of the records were still in it when I bought it. He owns a big farm in Crete IL. He is an older guy and he said he never had much for problems. He said he changed the fuel pump, alt, and something with the power steering. But I going to change it and the plugs, oil, run some seafoam thew it plus the maf

Old 04-11-2008, 01:05 PM

Then that would be the first thing to do is the fuel filter. Mine ran soooo much better when I replaced it on my 99 shortly after buying it.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:22 PM

i don't want to sound like and idiot but a couple weeks ago when i was changing my ujoints i kinda looked around for a fuel filter and didn't see one. where are they located? its a 04' 1500 ex. cab

Old 04-11-2008, 07:23 PM

Some of the newer ones dont have inline fuel filters or so I heard but if it dose it will have one on the driver side (I think) right about were the back door is on your excab.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:16 AM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah that was preached on here when I first joined(bout the 03 and up trucks not having an inline fuel filter.) Load of crap. We sell fuel filters for any year chevy pickup you can think of at work. Although I'll admit I haven't looked one up for like an 07 yet(no one has needed one yet ofcourse). But I'm sure those have one as well.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:58 AM

Well I didnt get my day off this weekend instead I put in another 107hrs. So no update yet. I think im going to get sick at the end of the week and get it done.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM

well i looked for my fuel filter again and didn't find one. i followed the lines all the way up to the engine bay and presto!! no filter.

Quick Reply: My truck is running like a dog