Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mysterious oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default mysterious oil leak

i have an 01 silverado crew cab 2500 hd 6.0l 454 4x4 and my oil level light came on the dash teh other day my truck was a quart low on engine oil anyway i washed my truck and cleaned the engine compartment and the underside and of course the entire truck well i got under there about a week after and noticed engine oil all over the transmission oil pan and rear of oil pan none of the oil pan bolts are loose from what i could see and i did take a socket to them to make sure so i washed it off again still oil
ubder there i am completey stumped maybe its the rear main seal.

my truck had a soft brake pedal so i took the time to do the brakes on them a week or two ago and still the same thing the brakes werent bad to begin with but i went ahead and put new pads and rotors anyway i have the hydraulic booster and master cylinder and the brake code jh6 my gvwr is over 9000 i was thinking maybe a bad booster and master casue there is a small amount of brake fluid on the master if that is so would i be ablt to put a new master and booster on with the jh7 code instead of my jh6 alls i think it would do is give me a better brake ability any ideas on eather would be great

Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
TMW

Check to make sure the oil isn't coming from the oil filter. It may be loose or when it was last changed the old gasket stayed on and now you have two gaskets causing the oil leak. Interesting that an oil light would come on with only a quart low, I would think it would need to be several quarts low. I've had company vans that were 3 quarts low without the light coming on.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
TruckForum Addict

thanks ill check it again but when i did the oil change last i made sure it was tight so i will check again thanks

Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 PM

Could be the rear main, oil pan gasket or rear cam plug. Then there is the gasket for the rear main adapter, porous block basically you need to look a little deeper.