Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! anyone who owns a Chevy Silverado!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Well, this probably won't go over so good, but here goes. I currently own an 05 Z71 with most all of the options, I have no issues to date, and like the ride as well. I needed a 4WD and my Dodge wasn't. The Ram was a true 4 door cab w/all possible options. Plus the 5.7 Hemi. I have to say, I do miss the Dodge at times because of the cab space and the little creature comforts. As for Ford, I manage a fleet of about 170 E Series with 7.3L and 6.0L diesels. The 7.3L is bullet proof. the 6.0L, not so much.
Buy an F series with 7.3L and you'll have a loyal friend for life.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Beginner

I have an '05 silverado LT extended cab short bed 4x4 quadrasteer, overall, I really like the truck but I feel that GM tends to take some shortcuts in build quality particularly in the area of electronics (instrument clusters, climate control systems, audio systems etc). Aside from the electronics, GM builds a solid, capable, comfortable truck, and the small block chevy engine has been the most versatile engine platform in automotive history. I think it's a shame that the Quadrasteer feature never really caught on and was discontinued after 3 years, compared to two wheel steering, the difference in handling is like night and day. In 4 wheel steer, the truck is as easy to maneuver in parking lots as a small car, and at high speed, with a load or pulling a trailer, you get no tail heavy feel when changing lanes. besides it's kinda fun to park with the wheels turned and watch the reaction of people when they notice the "bent wheels".

Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 AM

I had a '99 Ford F150 6 cyl. It was a good, almost, but not quite trouble-free pickup. It lacked power & could have greatly benefitted from a low-range gear at times, but that would have defeated the purpose of buying the V6. Overall, it was a very good quality pickup.

Then I bought an '08 Chevy 1500 4WD, It's a quantum leap forward in handling & ride. I've driven my boss's Ford lately & I'm glad I got the Chevy if only for ride quality. My Chevy doesn't get great mileage, but I didn't expect it to & I drive it like I want to. The Chevy has had 2 small electronic problems that were fixed under warranty, So that's a little worrisome.

I guess it's an apples-oranges comparison, but so far I'm very glad I got the Chevy this time around. I do believe they're both 200K mile vehicles.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I have been a GM guy since birth so I am biased in that direction, but can appreciate the other manufacturers in certain area's. For a reliable 1/2 ton truck I don't think anyone comes close to Chevrolet/GMC. Now the heavier haulers especially in diesel form is a different story. I think the popular opinion is the 7.3 Ford diesel seems to have the best reputation with the Dodge Cummins diesel a real close 2nd. The problems with those trucks were in other area's: Fords - uncomfortable ride and handling & Dodge just can't seem to build a decent transmission plus their interiors just fall apart. The Duramax/Allison combo which has been around for close to a decade now has reastablished GM's heavier truck lines as far as diesels are concerned and seem to be a really well built engine. My personal favorite is the GM Vortec 454 in the 96-2000 2500 & 3500's. It's a beast with a real decent transmission behind it. I own 3 and even with gas prices getting crazy won't stray from them. I also think GM designed a fantastic line of motors when they went to the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 series these motors seem bulletproof. The only thing I put my wife in is a 5.3 liter equipped Yukon or Tahoe. They simply require gas and an oil change here and there and they just keep on going. They are very comfortable, but capable when you need it. Good luck with your project!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Thumbs up Yeah.. I would too..

Originally Posted by GMCSierraFan
Keep in mind, this is a GM dominated Website and there isn't really that many people to post in those areas. Just don't assume that no response is a bad response

I hate to flip it around now.. But I'd take a Ford Raptor SVT

That Raptor SVT is sweet .. saw it on the Top Gear Episode...