Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Need help diagnosing a surging issue with my 2009 Silverdo 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Smile Need help diagnosing a surging issue with my 2009 Silverdo 5.3L

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and I am reaching out to those of you that have technical experience that may help me. I recently bought a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab Z-71 4x2. It's got the 5.3L V-8 with the FlexFuel capability.

Problem: The truck "surges" when I am accellerating from a stop and sometimes will continue surging all the way to 30-40 mph. That may not be the best term but it's the only way I can describe what's going on. Sometimes it's not too bad and other times the truck almost will NOT accellerate to highway speed without a serious fight.

I've taken it to Hewlett Chevrolet in Georgetown, TX twice now and each time they say that cannot duplicate the problem and all diagnostics come back fine. I don't know what the heck to do because when I went up there recently to drive with a technician it did not do it. However, two days later (04/10/10) the truck did it so bad that my wife asked me what the heck I was doing. She thought that I was messing around with the gas pedal while we were accellerating. I cannot seem to make it happen consistently and of course it definetly won't happen for the dealer. BUT, something is definetly not right and I can't get the dealer to do anything unless they can duplicate the problem.

Anyone have any idea about what's going on with my truck? It feels like terrible fuel delivery. This is bugging the heck out of me because I feel like I'm going to have to just live with it because the dealer won't do a thing without proof.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I assume the truck is still under warranty so I would take it to them and leave it until they can figure out the problem. You bought a new or newer (not sure if you bought it new) for reliability and comfort so make them provide that for you. Make sure you get documentation from them each time you take it in. It may help you out later on if the problem gets worse and maybe the warranty has expired. Good luck and let us know if they figure it out.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:54 AM
jvp

You may have gotten some bad gas, run the tank down to empty, refill at a different station. Replace your fuel filter, and add a bottle of injector cleaner.If not you may have a problem with your AFMGood Luckjvp

Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Default mmm hmmm

I had an issue with a fluctuating fuel level gauge. The dealership couldn't diagnose the problem even after my explanation of what was happening. When I took a small video in and had them look at it, suddenly, miraculously, they were able to diagnose . It was a failing fuel pump. I think they just didn't believe me because it wouldn't replicate when they had it. When they saw the video, along with my commentary, it convinced them that there was a problem exactly as I had described it.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Is the RPM fluctuating with the surging?