Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Need some radio help guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:26 PM

I can throw an aftermarket unit in with no problem. I have been working on 6 and 12 volt systems for years. Now...I am just trying to determine whether or not this power issue is generating the head unit or in the truck's power. I cannot find any indication either way. So...is the issue the truck or the head unit?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by dougo83
I can throw an aftermarket unit in with no problem. I have been working on 6 and 12 volt systems for years. Now...I am just trying to determine whether or not this power issue is generating the head unit or in the truck's power. I cannot find any indication either way. So...is the issue the truck or the head unit?
You said the head unit receives and ejects CD's/Casettes, as well as turns on to keep time, right? Where's the power issue? It's a signal issue then, no?

I had to replace my unit purely because the CD player stopped reading, but the radio/etc still worked.
I still do not think it economical to salvage the head unit in this case, and I do believe that the problem is in the head unit unless your wiring harness is not hooked up right. It's fried otherwise, can it.
There couldn't be any other cause that I can think of.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by egsurfer700
You said the head unit receives and ejects CD's/Casettes, as well as turns on to keep time, right? Where's the power issue? It's a signal issue then, no?

Yea...it could be...it's just the intermittent thing that is throwing me off. For example, it works today and has worked for about 2 weeks after not working for a month.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM
TruckForum Addict

Stock unit = junk. Replace it. Once you replace it the speakers work or do not work. Or just unplug a speaker and hook it to another radio somewhere and see if it plays. That will tell you if the speakers are good. 92Chevy Silvy.. what speakers did you forget to tighten down? Front or rear?

Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Beginner
Default Stereo

My stereo didn't have any sound coming out either. I found that my factory speakers had finally gotten old. The paper backing in them was crumbling and falling out. I spent approx $100 at walmart and installed some sony xplode speakers and now i have my sound back. Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Exclamation Update!

I just replaced the head unit today and I am still having the same problem. I hooked up the head, it powered on, changes stations, etc. but still no sound. I am doubting that the speakers are the problem because they produce good, solid sound when the stereo unit works. Is it possible that the speakers could be cutting out despite working well? Is there some sort of in-line amplifier or something on these Silverados that could be losing signal? Also, could the separate CD player be causing an issue?

I am at a loss and really miss my tunes...ugh...

Old 05-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

GM speakers from late 2000 and up to about 2006 or so have an issue when they get old building up too much resistance and not producing any sound. I went through it with my wife's yukon and after thinking it was the head unit I found the speakers to be bad. Now the only thing about yours is for all of them to go at once is strange. Hers went out in pairs - both lefts and then later both rights. If you have a speaker around the house that you could just temporarily test for sound with that would tell you.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Beginner
Default stereo

I agree with the last one. My sound quit. I purchase new unit. Still didn't work. Did as other, used another speaker and found out all my speakers were shot. Purchased new speakers and problem went away.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Ok...back to this garbage. I tested the speakers and they work fine, so I am left to assume that there is a short somewhere in the system. I am going to rip out all of the factory audio guts and replace everything once money allows. I will be running a new head unit, new audio and power wiring and new speakers. Am I missing anything? Would I need to install an amp or would I be able to get enough sound? Should I go ahead and install powered speakers? Am I forgetting anything else?

Thanks Y'all

Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

No need to totally gut the system. Just get either another factory radio or if you want to go aftermarket get yourself a wiring harness for your truck. It will connect to your aftermarket unit and will simply plug right into your factory truck harness. That way you don't have to cut any wires and if you or the next owner want to go back factory it is a simple plug and play situation. If you aren't happy with the sound at that point then you can start changing speakers and/or adding a subwoofer. For the average person the factory speakers sound good enough, as long as they aren't blown of course. So do it in steps and save yourself some money. Personally unless you plan on installing an amp and sub I would just find a good stock radio and call it a day. This coming from a guy that used to compete in audio competitions, but now drives a truck with a completely stock radio and is very content. Yes, I am getting old! Now the stereo in my boat on the other hand is pretty extreme.

Quick Reply: Need some radio help guys