Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

New '04 Silverado questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Default New '04 Silverado questions

hello every one. Glad to find a forum similar to my last one for my car. I need to get some advice on a few things from the PRO's that have a had a fullsize truck for some time.

First a little about the truck, or at least what I know. Its a 2004 Silverado. Lifted on 37's. Love the size of the lift and tires. Looks great together. I traded in my 2006 Subaru WRX for this cause I have wanted a fullsize truck since I sold my lifted ranger for the WRX. Don't know if it has been re-geared or not. Nothing else has been modified on the truck as of yet.

Now. Here are a few of my questions.

1. I know I am going from a quick little sports car to a oversized tank, but for a vortex 5.7ltr V8, it doesnt seem to have much get up.

How much better response can I get from re-gearing, cat back exhause with dual tips, better air intake? And is there anything else I should look at or do different to gain some power and speed back in the truck.

2. I was reading about exhausts. Now I do not think I am going to be towing anything with the truck so should I go with duals versus the single? I heard the single is better for torque where as the duals are better for horse power.

3. What is a great order to do the performance mods in? I dont have a lot of cash at the moment to start this all off but down the road I will have it all done. Looking to save a lot on MPG's even though it is a tank and sucks the gas like no ones business but If its going to suck it down I want it to move while its doing so.

Any help, advice, and input for the "NEW" Newb to fullsize pickups would be a great help! Thanks!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 AM
jvp

Well first get your gear ratio sorted out. If the person you bought the truck from did not change the gears to compensate for the larger tires, this is going to make the truck feel under powered do to the lack of torque.

If the engine just feels like it just does not want to come to the party, look at getting a programmer.

The CAI and the Cat Backs will also wake the truck up, keeping in mind that most of this new found power will come at WOT. Lets face it when your going 70 your going 70 and at WOT 70 comes and goes pretty quick, just as the gas guage is going down.

Your looking at the right combinations, but sort out the gears so your truck is not straining with the tires

Good Luck

jvp