General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

A few Questions about my Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Default A few Questions about my Silverado

Ok..I just bought a 1999 Silverado Z-71. It has 131k on it and I have a few questions:

1. Why does my gas gauge just decide to stop working at random, usually at idle? It will either register Empty or bounce back and forth from Empty to Full. Is this something easily remedied?

2. I hear a vibration when I enagage my Auto 4x4. I also notice a diminshed turning radius or I hear the grinding/rubbing noise. Is this expected? This is my first 4x4 so I am not 100% certain what I should/shouldn't hear.

3. Where can I get the fog lights that go in the air dam on this truck? Mine are both broken.

I think that's it for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Dougo

Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 PM

Nothing?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Wow, old thread, sorry it slid by.

1. Common issue with these years Silverado's. The sender is in the tank and is part of the pump and the only way to fix it is to replace the assembly.

2. That is not normal for Auto 4X4 it sounds like it is engaging when it is not needed. There are a few things that can contribute to this issue, but not being a big 4X4 guy myself hopefully someone with more knowledge of what causes the Auto 4X4 to engage will chime in. I would imagine there is a sensor that can tell when the additional traction is needed.

3. I would try eBay or you might try the dealer. Some things are a cheaper than you might think from the dealer (not usually, but I have been surprised). I have a connection with Keystone Automotive here locally that would probably have the lights aftermarket if you can't locate them.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 PM

When you hear the rubbing noise are you turning as hard as you can? And do you have oversized tires on it? The rubbing noise could be you tires rubbing on your truck. I also had this problem with my old truck and it was a front U-Joint when it was in auto 4X4 and it vibrated really bad.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
1. Common issue with these years Silverado's. The sender is in the tank and is part of the pump and the only way to fix it is to replace the assembly.
Is this indicative of a problem with the pump or just an irritation?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

No the pump should be OK...they are seperate units in the same assembly (if that makes sense).

Old 11-14-2010, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by dougo83
Ok..I just bought a 1999 Silverado Z-71. It has 131k on it and I have a few questions:

1. Why does my gas gauge just decide to stop working at random, usually at idle? It will either register Empty or bounce back and forth from Empty to Full. Is this something easily remedied?

2. I hear a vibration when I enagage my Auto 4x4. I also notice a diminshed turning radius or I hear the grinding/rubbing noise. Is this expected? This is my first 4x4 so I am not 100% certain what I should/shouldn't hear.

3. Where can I get the fog lights that go in the air dam on this truck? Mine are both broken.

I think that's it for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Dougo
The fuel tank has a float and if this is damaged /has a bad contact the gauge will not work. Electrical and fuel pump problems could also cause a malfunction. You could have a loose wire which is not connecting the fuel tank sensor to your gauge. You should take it in to have it checked out to find out the reason for sure. Once it is determined it should be a quick thing to fix.