Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

New Member Needs Help-Here's My Story...

Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Default New Member Needs Help-Here's My Story...

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I need y'all's help. Here goes-
I bought a 1993 GMC K2500 with the 5.7 and 5 speed manual. I bought it from a friend who got it brand new in 1993. In 2002 he bought a new GMC and parked this one with plans of using it around the farm. After 3 years of me bothering him about the truck and him only driving it a handful of times in a year, he got tired of it sitting there and sold it to me for $500. Heck of a deal for a truck with no rust, great interior and only 149,500 miles.

Brought the truck home and noticed hesitation due to old gas. Alsoafter it is driven around for a bit, if you shut it off it will not start for a little while. The engine will crank and crank, but not turn over. I've found that if I spray some water around the area of the EGR Vaccum Solenoid (left side of the air cleaner assembly), that it will start upright away.
Here is a list of things I havedone so far:
Recharged A/C
New Bosch Platinum Plugs and Wires
Oil Changed with Mobil 1High Mileage Synthetic
New Air Filter
New PCV Valve
Power Steering Pump
Stopped Small Radiator Leak
New Fuel Filter
Marvel Mystery Oil Treatment
Seafoam Treatment in the Engine

This truck is in great shape, and the cruise control even still works. The first problem I have is that sometimes I'll crank it up and drive it and it runs like brand new! Other times Ill crank it up and it idles at only 750-800 rpm, it hesitates in first and second, the oil pressure fluctuates on the high side more than normal, and the temperature gauge rises on occasion. It doesn't feel like it should at all. Then it wont start if shut off after its warmed up. The second issue is the factory radio. The radio power on and lights up, but it stays frozen on one station with no sound and none of the buttons function. I know its not a big deal, but I have to have my music on and I do not want to put in an aftermarket radio.

I know if anyone can help me, you guys can!! Thanks a million!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:14 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: New Member Needs Help-Here's My Story...

Hmmm.... not real sure what to recommend. Might repost this in the Silverado board. Probably would get more help. Have you replaced the cap and rotor for the distributor? That would be a good idea.

Also, why not just stick an aftermarket CD player in there? The original one is definitely gonna be shot by now. My 95 Z28's CD player is shot. It plays the radio fine, but you stick a CD in it and it get all confused and tries to eat if for a second then spits it out after several bouts of fussing and pressing the eject over and over. In the long run, you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation by just replacing it. Then again, if you like the factory look, you could always check Ebaymotors to see if they have a factory replacement for real cheap.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Default RE: New Member Needs Help-Here's My Story...

Haven't replaced the cap and rotor, but I looked at it and it appeared ok.

As for the radio deal....I'm stubborn as hell and like the factory look