Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the neighborhood with a tbi problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Default New to the neighborhood with a tbi problem

What's up all. New to the site, man that 27 inches of lift is sick! That guy needs to let me drive. I was wondering if anyone can give some advice about my delema, I have a 1991 silverado 1/2 ton 4x, 350 tbi 5 spd.. my problem started when my rig started running like terds. I noticed that the throttle body had a hairline crack in the side of the "injector cup". So I ran on down to my local boneyard and they had one off of a 350 out of a 1994 k1500 (at least that's what they said). Got home put on the "new" part and it fires right up, problem solved right? Nope! It runs great don't get me wrong as long as I don't put the go pedal strait to the floor. Idels smooth, runs good if i drive it "normally",But lets say I'm pulling out into heavy traffic and..., THERE'S A SEMI COMMING... my 'ol lady screams in my ear (it's on her side no big deal lol, just kidding), it wants to bog down. When I got home I pull it into the garage to take a look andreallizeit's getting to much fuel. Tomorrow I am going to the part store for hotter burnning spark plugs, coil that pushes more juice and new wires. I'm also going to bump the timing up a few degrees and hopefully that will work. If not maybea newfuel pressure regulater is is in order. Any ideas would be awsome! Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Default RE: New to the neighborhood with a tbi problem

put the old injectors into the new TB, also check fuel pressure may have a bad fuel pressure regulator

Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 PM

it could also be tps sensor set wrong or bad

Old 10-18-2007, 04:47 AM

no check engine lite?...maybe tps semnsor...but I think your injectors are different

Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 AM

It is either the fuel pressure regulator or the injectors. I would have to say regulator would be the best bet. I replaced the one on my 91' with an adjustable one.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:42 PM

I love the powerband of fuel injection; miss the simplicity of a Carb.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:21 PM

Yea, so do I. I'm an old scool gear head. when I replaced the q-jet with a holly n my old 69 c10 I had a simular situation with getting a little to much gas, so I put in hotter burnning plugs and coil along with a slight timimg advancement and presto no more hesatation and some more power. That's why I did the same thing now and agian presto problem solved. I still get a slight hesatation when I mash it but it may be from sitting seince Febuary. We'll see after a few days or so. Thanks guys for your input.[sm=crossbonesgif.gif][sm=gears.gif]

Old 10-18-2007, 05:10 PM

I have a91 chevy silverado also and i built a motor for it wth a little more power and i left it wth the tbi and just like you say its fine when driving normally but when i romp on it it goes for a second then falls flat on its facefor a couple seconds then it gets back on it i was thinking something with the fuel pump or should i just do something similar?

Old 10-18-2007, 05:50 PM

It does sound like a simular problem though. Another thing you could try ontop of the previously mentioned is a new fuel pressure regulater that pushes a little more go juice like a few of the guys said.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 PM

where is the fuel pressure regulator becasue i thought with the electric fuel pump it ran at a constant pressure and didnt need a regulator. i know that the carb can only take like 5-8psi but the electric puts out way more than that.

Quick Reply: New to the neighborhood with a tbi problem