Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the neighborhood with a tbi problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Default RE: New to the neighborhood with a tbi problem

Being a 91 it should have the old style tb where it resembles a two barrel carb,with the injecters on the top.I don't have a camara or I would send you some pictures. It isn't very difficult, if you get a haynes book it can show you, it is detailed on a lot of things but leaves some things out. or if you would like i can try to walk you thruogh it.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 PM

it is located on the throttle body

Old 10-21-2007, 12:53 AM

have you tried ultrasonically cleaning your tb, i bought a old 350 tb that had been ultrasonically cleaned and i dont run into these problems.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:45 AM

When I built up my 91' I went to TBIchips.com and got a new ECU chip for the computer. This allowed the computer to keep up with the fuel demandsof the engine with my modifications. Contact him, tell him what you have done to your truck and he will make you a chip for $30-$35 or so. If it isn't right he will fix it. Its the best way to get the most from the engine mods. Sometimes the stock chip won't get enough fuel to the engine or adjust the timing enough to allow it to run properly with different cam, heads, headers, etc.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 AM

I may give that a shot. And just out of curious but what does descreening your maf sensor do.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 AM

You get a tiny bit more throttle response. If you have a high-flow filter it is a little more noticable. If you have a cold-air intake, its pretty noticable. Just one less obstruction, ya know?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM

yes but your truck shouldnt have a maf sensor anyways.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM

Well sure as hell not one with a screen anyways, I know it has a meter of somkind in the throttle body itself.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM

so how do you do it?

Old 10-22-2007, 02:42 PM

Well, like Stopspazinout said, there isn't a MAF with a removeable screen on yours. All your sensors are located within the throttle body and your air filter acts as the screen. The newer trucks have a air duct running down towards the front right headlight where the airbox is. There is a collar looking device right before the airbox that has the MAF sensor in it, the screen is on there. You don't have that on your truck so it can't be done. (sorry slight oversight before I should have mentioned that). An easy mod for your truck would be a $20 chrome open air cleaner assembly (can find it at Pep Boys, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc). Then buy a 14" round K&N air filter. For an added bonus you can remove some of the insulation from your hood (near the windshield) to make a "redneck cowl hood". Remove the rubber strip not the padding on the bottom of the hood. It works pretty good for a quick mod. Sounds sweet when you nail the gas too!

Quick Reply: New to the neighborhood with a tbi problem