Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

new to site and chevy with questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Default new to site and chevy with questions

last week I bought a 98 silverado ext cab 4x4 to replace my nissan 4x4. the only reason for the upgrade in size was the need for more space to seat my children safely in the back. Otherwise I would have kept right on driving the nissan.

I have been enjoying the silverado truck but have noticed a few suspension issues that need attention.

1. the passenger side lower ball joint boot is ripped badly and needs replaced. the driver's side shows old yet intact rubber. the dealer wants $330 to replaceone sideincluding $80 for the ball joint itself. I have changed many ball joints on cars without too much difficulty. However, I can't seem to find the bolts holding the joint to the lower control arm. Is the cost of the joint so expensive to include the lower control arm? I can't imagine it is.

2. there are two lug nuts broken on the front hub. I have the replacement parts ($17 from the dealer) and planned to change them myself until I saw the three bolts securing the hub to the steering knuckle. Using a puller am I able to pull the hub out just enough to remove the broken ones and slip in the new ones or does the hub have to come out completey (thinking theremay bea seal needing replaced once the hub is pulled away from the knuckle)? Also can I use a hammer to loosen the broken one's first or should I use a puller to push them out?

3. I have bled the brakes because they felt spongy. Now I have bled brakes for years with a firm pedal resulting but my results with this truck do not come near that. On these trucks is the pedal firm or spongy or should I suspect a master cylinder problem? Otherwise everything works accordingly.

4. I used to have several volvo's in the past and used a hose attached to the transmission cooler inlet pipe to drain the fluid from the transmission while idling the vehicle. This got all of the fluid out of the transmission AND cooler. I would alternate changing the filter at scheduled times because rarely the filter was dirty. also I would add magnets to the pan to trap any metal filings. Has anyone done this same procedure to the silverado or does anyone not recommend do the fluid change this way?

5. I want to put the 99 up rear tail lights on my truck because they have the amber turn signal. I like the styling and utility of those lights. Will they fit the 98 model?

I'll hold off for now to read any responses.

thanks in advance.

Tim

Old 10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Default RE: new to site and chevy with questions

Welcome, The lower control arm is not part of the joint. I had a friend assist me in changing mine, but, alas, I do not remember the process. I fyou have to replace parts up front, I like to get everything out of the way so a thorough inspection can be done of all parts. The brakes will feel different, there is nothing wrong with them. A few people on this site asked the same or similar question about the brakes.
Sorry I couldn't help with the rest.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 PM

You will never get a good pedal feel with the brakes, but they will work fine. I'm not sure if the brake lights will fit, but if they do...I'll sell you my old ones (cheap). I'm thinking they prob won't fit however. The new ones seem wider then the older ones.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 PM

thanks for the replies. I will probably change out the ball joint myself this weekend or farm it out to the dealer later on prior to required state inspection.

this truck has bilstien shocks on it. this isn't the stock brand, is it?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:20 PM

No, but the previous owner has good taste.
Sorry we weren't able to help more with the front end.
Hope to see you back, and let us know how things work out.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM

All the Z71 pickups had those shocks I thought. Thats what came on my dads Z71 when it was new.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 PM

i believe you to be correct, mine has bilsteins too

Old 10-17-2007, 07:51 PM

I got robbed!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 AM

You know what Cracker, I haven't seen any newer Z71 trucks with bilstien shocks on them. They are all just plain black shocks. Even the 07s and 08s from what I have seen just have black shocks on them. But I know for a fact that they put bilstien shocks on Z71s up to 98 at least.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:31 PM

Doesn't matter really. The '01 rode just how I like, like a truck.