Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

new to the site and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Beginner
Default new to the site and have a few questions

First my names Justin, but every one calls me Jed. i drive a 2000 Chevy step side z71 with over 261,000 miles on it. As this truck is my daily driver and has never been babied. we have used this half ton to pull anything and everything. drive train is 100% stock besides the transfer case. but my wiring is going bad. thinkin it may be in the ecm? sometimes when i start my truck my abs light and e brake light come on and i pull the e break release and its always all the way up. so i go on about my business and it does not wanna shift outta first gear. runs up to about 4500 on the rpm tac then shifts real hard into second. then the lights go off and shifts smooth again through all the gears. any idea on what could be causing this problem? has any one had a problem similar to this?

thanks in advance,
Jed

Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Jed, I don't know what the connection might be between the ABS/Brake lights being on and your shifting problem, but I would start by seeing if there is a code set in your ABS system. Keep in mind that the Brake light comes on for reasons other than the E-brake being set.
So, get the ABS codes read out and go from there.

Gerald

Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Beginner

i have a code reader and i read my codes about once a week. i know i need new cats, but i read them this morning and ussually i have 6 codes but i only had one and it was my evap emission leak. this just started maybe 200 miles ago and i have no idea why. my dad cant even figure it out. my mechanic does not even know what it could be. but we are gonna pull my tranny and look at it and maybe tighten the bands and see what that does. ive been searching around for a truck similar to mine thats totaled so i could steal the wiring and other parts off of it instead of buying everything brand new

Jed

Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 AM

Jed, are you sure your code reader is capable of picking up ABS codes? I had to buy a special reader for that. I know there are some available that do both, but many only read the emissions type codes.

Gerald

Old 05-31-2012, 01:46 PM

Have you checked for any speed sensor codes? A long 1-2 shift leads me to believe you may have a transmission issue.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Beginner

i thought thattoo. but i put a new battery in it, taking the power from my ECM and ever since i did this i have put about 1000 miles on it and i havnt thrown a single coed and its still shifting fine havnt had a problem with it pulled about 2 tons about 150 miles used tow haul and it shifted likea dream, the only major problem i've had with it is my CATS i can feel my truck has lost power.

Jed