Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

No brake, turn, or hazards

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Default No brake, turn, or hazards

I have a 96 1/2 ton v6 full size pickup. Today, I was going to the store and noticed that I didn't have any turn signals. Got home and found that I didn't have brake lights or hazard lights. I messed around and found no power to the rear lights at the connection near the bumper. Tail lights work, btw. I checked the fuses inside the cab and they were good, I found a big 30 amp fuse marked "brake" blown under the hood on that main power center board. I replaced it, but that didn't fix it. That fuse has power going to it.

Now my ignition switch has been bad for some time. I have a bypass wire with a switch that hot wired the fuel pump and engine electrical. The key switch is only used to engage the starter, and some of the other, I guess, chassis electrical.

I'm guessing that the power for the brake, turn, and hazards, comes from the ignition switch first on a special connection in the ignition switch. But that doesn't make sense because the brake lights should work with out the switch being engaged. But the ignition switch is the only thing I can think of. I wouldn't think that the brake lights run through the turn signal switch.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-31-2010, 05:57 PM

That 30 amp fuse blew for some reason and that's a pretty big fuse. You may have had a short that zapped a wire when that fuse blew. If you have a meter, I would start tracing the voltage to see where you lose it. I'm guessing that blown fuse is in the mix somewhere. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 AM

may be a multifuntion switch. AKA : turn signal switch.