Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

One last question before I order parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Default One last question before I order parts

I know this has been gone over again and again but one last thing. What i want to do is lift teh front of my truck up about 2" to make it level. I have been looking around for a while and seeing that ever one says get new torsion keys and thatwill lift it up without the side effects ofturning your stock keys. the question i have is how does that do anythign different than turning the stock keys up. the reindexed aftermarket keys just twist the torsion bars more without having to turn the bolts as far?? correct?? so arent the bars still getting twisted just as much?? will some please explain the advantage of going with after market keys??

Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Default RE: One last question before I order parts

It either moves them in such a way that they push the front wheels down without twisting them, say like changing the angle of the bars in relation to the lower control arms, OR it simply tightens up like the factory ones but maybe it has move "give" to it? I am not really sure. I think it is something like the first one. I have seen them on early GM truck and thats what it looks like to me. All I know is that 2" of lift by simply cranking the tortion bars up will kill your front end.

I did 1.5" on my 91 by cranking the bars and had to adjust it down to around 3/4" in order to get it to ride smoothly enough that it wouldn't "bunny hop" the front tires on rough roads.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:38 PM

ok thanks. i was planning on getting them just because what i have read and when i was looking at it it looks like a pain to change so i'll probably have a shop do it and get an alginment too

Old 04-14-2008, 05:11 PM

If you change the keys it will do the same as cranking up your stock ones. The only advantage that you will get out of the new keys is more adjustability. Either way they will change the geometery of the front end and it will be harder on the front end components perticularly the ball joints, tie rod ends, the pitman arm and the idler arm. Also you will need to get longer shocks to compensate for the increased height and travel. Make your choice wiesely!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 AM

The aftermarket keys are different (from what I have seen) they look like they sit lower than the stock ones. Definately more adjustable.

But gpet6669 has a good point, it will definately put more stress on the front end so be careful what you throw on there and how much you crank it up.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Beginner

i got the leveling kit for my truck from roughcountry.com and it was a great deal. just over $200 for 4 new shock, the rear blocks, and new keys. Make sure you have the right puller though, we didint and had to make shift one using the old U bolts... dont recomend it pretty sketchy but it got the job done!