Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

one problem 50 opinions HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Default one problem 50 opinions HELP

Ok, well I got an 02 silveradoz w/ the 5.3. My engine light is on and I am getting a MAP senor reading (manifold air pressure) and a random/multiple cylider malfunction/misfire. I have changed plugs and wires, fuel filter, checked for vacuum leaks. I have a loud clack when I try to accelerate any fater than a grandma in a lincoln, sometimes when it is cold I get a whistle. SOunds like a belt, but higher pitch and made by air pressure I know what belts sound like. The engine lacks power. And I am scared it could be my cats. I have tru dual exuast and one sides seems quieter than the other and a lot hotter. I am no mechanic, I am a carpenter.[/align] I guess since I am pretty sure it is the cats, if I beat them out or what have you, will the check engine light come on, and if it does will it hur my gas mileage or engine. What possible hazards, (to me and my truck) does it pose, And i know these things ar God awful expensive, so does getting the really really cheap ones hurt you that bad? Or should I spend 900+ dollars and get 2 Standard Equipment ones?[/align]help me, i am losing my mind over this[/align][/align]

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Default RE: one problem 50 opinions HELP

Do you need them were you live? It will throw a code but if you get a tune you can delete the rear O2 sensers. If you dont have to have cats then just cut them out and put in a pipe. Here is a link were there is a guy buying them or you can scrap them and get some money for them. Here is that link CLICK!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:43 AM

I don;t think I need them. I have heard of people getting tickets here for not having them, but they were Raisin Hell with their pipes up and down the main stretch. We don;t have an inspection for cars here so I should be safe. Its just trying to find someone with the programmer your talking about.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 AM

Well Im not sure you can delet the O2s with a hand held but if you get a tune from a tuner shop or anyone with HPtuners. Here is a few links you could check out. I would go with Nelson but Wait4me is about the cheapest its the third click.

CLICK

CLICK

CLICK

Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Verify that it is indeed the cats. Then buy the universal ones, no tht eOEM ones. Its not worth paying out the *** for something you don't really want on your truck anyway, right? Might as well just donate the money to the EPA.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:30 PM

LOL I really hope it is my driver side cat, my goldfish can fart harder that whats coming out, but the other side is fine. I think I am gonna check it by disco.ing the cats and rasin some hell through my neighborhood. Maybe i can scare all the neighbors into keeping their dogs outt my yard when they walk them in the process. I hate HOA's .[/align] I also found someone that will send me a programmed chip to my specs for 100$ which I might do anyways cause I hate the chevy cutback, and apparently there are some other neat things that can be done. like adjust my speedo so it will show the proper MPH with my tires[/align][/align]Also, these universal cats, How long can they actually hold up cause I am a firm believe in you get what you pay for.[/align][/align]

Old 06-02-2008, 05:32 PM

In one of my cars the cat got clogged so I drilled a few holes right before it just to make sure it was them. The funny thing was I drilled them in the passenger side of the pipe. I parked in a gravel parking lot at work. When I was driving thew the lot I would give it a rev when I was near somebody and it would blow a bunch of dust all over them. We called antique-ing them. It was so funny I would call this guy Jessy over to my car and get him every time.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:49 AM

I had my universal for two years on my 91 before I sold the truck, but my old mechanic recomended it so I went with what he said. It looked and functioned fine when I sold it. He used them all the time and because they are straight through honeycomb design they aren't anymore or less restrictive than most OEM ones. Side Note: They are reeeeaaally easy to gut too! Just make sure you get the right INLET/OULET size and your fine. I think they were like $50-60 at advance auto but that was 2 years ago.