Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Opinions or Advice needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Blake
Talked him down to $2,500. So far the truck is doing great, plenty of power from that 4.3 liter V6. Altho we wont be using the truck for towing or hauling much.... other than hauling 4 wheelers and lumber, just the normal stuff. If i need a truck for heavy towing or hauling thats what the Ram 2500 24 valve is for. Basically all this Chevy is for is daily driver from home to work and run around town in to take care of tasks. And it gets considerably better gas milage than the 5.7 liter 350 small block in the '96 Z71.... imagine that right? haha

Sounds like a decent truck for a good $. I sold my '99 V6 F150 2wd for $3K. It didn't sit there a week before my buddy's dad bought it. He didn't bat an eyelash at the price. It had 189K miles on it. But it was underpowered for towing a boat, which I have. Yours should be fine for hauling stuff in the bed or a light trailer. If you decide you want to tow a boat, you can upgrade the rearend gear, but I guess that defeats the purpose of buying the V6.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 PM

@ cubpak89: Yeah we plan to have it fully inspected to see if anything has been changed up or if its throwing codes or whatnot. Changed the oil in it earlier today and the oil filter was loose and there was oil all over the place :/ people never cease to amaze.... obviously they didnt think it was a critical point to tighten the oil filter ever so slightly past "hand tight".... oh well, back to the adventure of going thru it with a fine tooth comb. Ive noticed an exhaust leak aswell and the exhaust system rattles a considerable amount. gonna have it totally redone and have the cats inspected to see if they need to be replaced. and i believe the exhuast leak is in the connection between the manifold and exhuast pipe on the drivers side.... gotta get a closer look at it to make sure tho.

Last edited by Blake; 06-05-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

sounds good let us know what else you find
fyi if your cats are bad they are very expensive to replace around the 200-300 bucks range if they are bad i would look into cutten em off and taken em into a place that recycles money cause you can get areound 150-300 for one
and the exsuahst leak your describing is very common its called a doughnut gasket where the exsausht manifold meets up with the tubing i believe any auto parts store has them for like 5-10 bucks but not sure as i have to replace my entire gaskets on my 94s exsaust so ill let you know what some of the prices are tomorrow when i buy mine

Old 06-05-2011, 04:11 PM
TruckForum Addict

went to the local parts store oreilly's and baught some of the gaskets needed
here is the price for my manifold gaskets for a 350 v8 7.99 so yours i cant imaging will be more then that

Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Awesome thanks for the help on that one cubpak, i'll go check on those soon. As for the cats im gonna check with a friend of mine that owns an exhuast shop and see what he says as far as a price. im not sure if the cats are bad or not, its very possible tho. I do believe the motor is in severe need of a tune up aswell. the fella i bought it from didnt say if it had ever been tuned up and its not far from the 200,000 mile mark. The air filter is pretty clean but i believe it needs replaced along with a new set of plugs and wires. anything else i should check while im still in the middle of checking this one out?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by Blake
Awesome thanks for the help on that one cubpak, i'll go check on those soon. As for the cats im gonna check with a friend of mine that owns an exhuast shop and see what he says as far as a price. im not sure if the cats are bad or not, its very possible tho. I do believe the motor is in severe need of a tune up aswell. the fella i bought it from didnt say if it had ever been tuned up and its not far from the 200,000 mile mark. The air filter is pretty clean but i believe it needs replaced along with a new set of plugs and wires. anything else i should check while im still in the middle of checking this one out?
the owner should have done the 100,000 mile mark service including greasing the front end and im not to sure of what else they do at that mile mark service

i would go ahead with the tune up as it probably does need it
and to determine if your cats are bad they make some kind of device you hook to the end and it reads how much emissions are passing thru and how much flow it has going thru it i think as im nto sure ive never had to replace cats
and if there bad i would get your moneys worth by taken them to a metal recycling palce i got paid 150.00 just for one cat

Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 PM

no idea if they did the 100,000 mile mark service. might need to check out all that stuff and see if it needs any attention. and deff gonna go ahead with the tune up.... need to tune up the Z71 aswell haha it hasnt been tuned up in about .... cough cough 5 years (nobody heard that) LOL

and as far as the exhaust goes im deff gonna try and get some money back out of em, what is it in them thats so valuable? i think its platinum or something (common issue around here with people going around at night and cutting other folks cats off and selling them for scrap.... gotta love how society is now days huh....) but perhaps they arent worn out and in need of replacement, that might hurt the wallet just a bit to get that done aswell haha

Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

it is the platinum that is worth the money in them i used to do a little scrap metaling until my business partnet decided to up and leave for his 20 year old gfthat acted like she was 13and moved out of state
but yes the platinum in them is worth the money and the value can be anywhere from 100-500 depending on what type and how big they are

Old 06-11-2011, 05:57 PM
TruckForum Addict

They are cutting the cats off every where. We had a guy in Houston that got busted with over a 150 cut open cats stacked up in his backyard. a citizen caught him on camera under his truck 1 night. The police went and picked him up. The citizen had some dam good security camers that where very clear. Got him with his license plates. What a dumb a@@! Anyhow put some headers on it. Then a single in dual out or singel in single out muffler on it. Then have the ECM tuned and hte rear O2 sensors deleted. Don't worry about teh cats then. A good tuneup will keep it passing the emissions. We do it like that here in TX.

Last edited by timber74wolf; 06-11-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 PM
TruckForum Addict

lol thats good he got caught i only did jobs where the owner of property allowed me to take stuff anyway headrers would help the truck breath better also and i would do a true dual to it