Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Opinions? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Default Opinions? Anyone?

Okay, I honestly can NOT decide if I want a truck or muscle car. I LOVE to go muddin more than I do driving on the street with a car, but I also LOVE the sound and feel of being in a car and working on them. So I have came to the conclusion that I should keep driving my parents work vehicle and work till I get more money since I will have a job n the summer and then at the end of summer buy a muscle car and a mud truck. If I did that I would get a stock sports car I could build up and a mud truck sorta like this:
1977 Chevy 1/2 ton with 9 inch lift
Do you guys have any opinions/thoughts on this?

That way I am getting decent gas mileage instead of 5-15 mpg and I also have somethin to mud in. And on an older truck like that insurance won't be high, so that is a +.

But I really can't decide because i'd rather have a mud truck but it'd also be my daily driver and everyone says not to do that because adding a lift n bigger tires is very hard on them especially when on the road.

(I currently have $6000.00 and over the summer will make approx $140.00 a week and my parents double whatever I put in the bank for a vehicle, so if I put all of it in the bank then $280.00 a week)

Old 04-22-2009, 09:34 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

well there is an old saying that goes like this...............You cant have your cake and eat it to. try to get the best of both worlds.....ie...scale down your mud truck a little and add some performance to it...wala the best of both worlds........some people will disagree with me here but instead of going with a 33" tire go with a 245 or 265......instead of building a bunch of lowend torque into the truck....give it a little mid and high end for street performance.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 AM

Wait until the end of summer and see where you sit. I have had big plans like this that didnt quite turn out so well. Just collect your money and see where you are at at the end of the summer and figure it out then.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

A few of my friends have mudding trucks that are also their daily drivers. They have a set of mud tires/rims and a set of street tires/rims. Then they can have 2 trucks in one. The biggest problem with that is mudding = breaking parts. So they are bumming a ride more then anything. So if you can afford it 2 seperate vehicles is the way to go. You can actually build a mudding truck fairly cheap. When I was into 4 wheeling I used to watch the guys playing in the mud and what was funny was usually the shiney expensive trucks were getting pulled out by the trucks that looked like they were just thrown together. There was a Suzuki Samuri that was unstoppable out there and he used to brag that he had under $2,000 in it. Either way good luck!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
A few of my friends have mudding trucks that are also their daily drivers. They have a set of mud tires/rims and a set of street tires/rims. Then they can have 2 trucks in one. The biggest problem with that is mudding = breaking parts. So they are bumming a ride more then anything. So if you can afford it 2 seperate vehicles is the way to go. You can actually build a mudding truck fairly cheap. When I was into 4 wheeling I used to watch the guys playing in the mud and what was funny was usually the shiney expensive trucks were getting pulled out by the trucks that looked like they were just thrown together. There was a Suzuki Samuri that was unstoppable out there and he used to brag that he had under $2,000 in it. Either way good luck!
How was that? Just that those people know how more about it when it comes to vehicles and there set up was better? Because to be honest with you I would LOVE to just buy an older chevy 1500 or f150 or something along those lines and turn it into a mud truck/daily driver, but my dad is very strict about those things even though it's my money and he would let me buy one if I wanted, but he is afraid of me having a lot of problems with it and spending more money into it on broken parts/engine ect rather than if I would just save my money and get a newer truck.. :/

Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 AM

If you want muscle, you can get one pretty cheap. I saw a early 70's chevelle in town a few weeks ago that they wanted 2500 for. It had a/c and a 350. Wasn't in bad shape at all. I wanted it so bad but I'm kinda in debt. What I would do is buy a muscle car like the one I mentioned and spend the rest on some restoration or in performance. You will get a lot more out of a sports car than a mud truck. You drive down the street everyday but only go muddin every once in a while. That's how I would go. Now, if you were wanting just a truck for every now and then muddin but still good on the highway, that would be a different story.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 AM

hmm that is a goood point.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 AM

You may have to go like a lot of teams do in the NFL draft. Go with best available. If you can't find a good car but can find some great trucks, do what's best.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

I'm a detroit lions fan

Old 04-23-2009, 03:24 PM

I hope you enjoyed the final four.. it may be the only wins on Ford Field this year.

I sincerely hope that blow wasn't too low

Quick Reply: Opinions? Anyone?