Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Opinions Sought: Draining A Bed Liner

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Default Opinions Sought: Draining A Bed Liner

Hi Folks!
I'm writing to gather your opinions about draining a plastic bed liner. I have a drop in plastic bed liner and a Bak Flip cover. I absolutely, positively can not get this cover to stop leaking into the truck bed from around the perimeter. The drains for the rails work, the gaskets just don't seal to the Bak brand bed rail covers. (It's kind of a pain in the neck, keeping everything away from the edges of the bed.)

The water pools & stays there forever. To drain it now (when it isn't frozen) I either empty the truck and do it manually or find a hill & park on it so the truck aims uphill. I keep tools inside, so I can't leave the lid open to evaporate, and in the winter the water just freezes (like the latches on the bed cover).

I can't justify buying a spray in liner just now, so I'll live with the plastic tub. My "Genius" plan is to drill holes in the front corners of the liner to let the water flow out of the liner and, eventually, to front bed drain slots.

My concern is- Do you all think some water will get sandwiched under the liner forever and rust out the bed or am I safe?

Thanks For Your Opinions!
Paul

Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I don't see a problem with drilling a couple holes in the corners where the factory drain holes are in the bed. I don't think it would cause any more of a rust issue then without holes drilled. They actually, in my opinion, should come with them already drilled.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 PM
TruckForum Addict

Instead of a spray in liner.. why not just a rubber mat? I took my rubber mat out and had a spray n liner sprayed in and still ended up putting my rubber mat back it. Sorry it does not deal with water, but the rubber mat kept my stuff from sliding around. My other point is this. The plastic liners cause rust once the water or condensation gets between the plastic and metal. The rubber mat will allow the water to flow thhrough the drains with no problem and no worry about standing water or rust... atleast for a while depending on where you reside.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Thanks Guys!
First I think it may be time to pull the liner out and actually see how nasty it is under it. Last fall, it looked OK (touched up some scratched-to-the-metal paint). If it's not too bad, I'll drill the holes & put it back until I can pop for the mat. I never even thought about a rubber mat. This may be the ticket for me. (Or Spray-In and a mat- eventually. That would be the ultimate.) I don't need the side wall protection from the liner. All of my tool tubs are strapped down near the center (leaky bak-flip lid) and my cargo consists of coiled show-power cables. Nothing to bash & scratch.

I can't wait until that liner hits the recycle bin (or craigslist) It always bothered me (and may have a lot to do with why I can't get the Bak Flip lid to stop leaking).

Thanks Again
Paul