Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Default Overheating

Hi, all first time posting to the site and in my opinion I have a head scratching problem, I have a 1995 Chevrolet 1500 2WD 1/2 ton Stepside Pickup, with a 350 cui engine,automatic transmission with overdrive.
Ok,now that I have told you the basic info on the vehicle here's the problem, I noticed that I had leak ( fluid under the front of the truck) so I had a look for the leak and noticed that the lower raidiator hose seemed that it was the likley culprit, so I changed it out ( what were they thinking when they installed those squeeze clamps ?) still the leak exsisted, so thought that maybe a clog ( as in a bad thermostat putting enough on bottom hose causeing it to seep out as the leak is very small) so I replaced the thermostat( replaced with a 160 degree thermostat) now the leak has for the most part ceased and the temprature on the guage shows that the engine is running in normal tempratures, however I keep smelling the smell of Coolant as if it were overheating , having checked the engine block for signs of leakage around the water pump and find none, I realize that the smell maybe from coolant still undiscovered on the engine block.
Any suggestions before I replace the water pump as well, ( as this is in my opion a major undertaking for a disabled person)
thanks for any comments in advance
Mower

Old 08-12-2006, 02:39 AM
Default RE: Overheating

Check your heater core. Sometimes it will start leaking which is why you smell the anti-freeze.