Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Parking brake adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Default Parking brake adjustment?

2002 1500HD -- 83K mi. Is there an adjustment on the parking brake linkage? If yes, where is it located? My pedal really goes low to the floor when I use it. Thanks

Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 AM

I have found if your rear brakes are in adjustment, the parking brake is good. I assume you have rear drum brakes. I have never had luck on depending on the automatic adjusters. I usually adjust the rear brakes manually and the parking brake comes back to where it supposed to be. Good luck.

Oops....I just noticed you have a HD and probably have disc brakes. I'm not sure on yours but on others that I've looked at you had to get into the cable length adjustment.

Last edited by SlimJim; 11-17-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added statement
Old 11-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Default Tthanks Slim

Yes they are disc brakes. I just now finished putting new rotors and pads on the fronts. Guess I'll need to slide under there and take a look. I guess if I start at the rear wheel and follow the linkage to the front, if there's an adjustment there, I'll find it. I'm just getting too old to be crawling under it. Thought someone might give me a place to look first. Thanks again, W.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Just follow the cable back about 1/2 way and you will see where it Y's into 2 cables. There is a threaded section and a nut there that can be adusted. If it is adjusted all the way out you can add a spacer in there to get a little more out of your cable.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by woodyman
2002 1500HD -- 83K mi. Is there an adjustment on the parking brake linkage? If yes, where is it located? My pedal really goes low to the floor when I use it. Thanks
Woodyman, Are your rear pads OK? Seems like if the auto adjust mechanism was not working right and the pads were low, it would cause the same symptom.

Gerald

Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 PM

The e-brake actually works off of rear shoes inside of the rotor. So you have both disk and drum brakes back there. I had the same issue with my truck and replaced the rear shoes and the pedal remained the same - LOW. I tightened the adjuster at the "Y" in the cable and it got a little better, but was still not as high as I would like. So I installed the spacer and it was perfect. These cables will actually stretch with age and use and that is what causes the low peddle.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mr_Shamrock
The e-brake actually works off of rear shoes inside of the rotor. So you have both disk and drum brakes back there. I had the same issue with my truck and replaced the rear shoes and the pedal remained the same - LOW. I tightened the adjuster at the "Y" in the cable and it got a little better, but was still not as high as I would like. So I installed the spacer and it was perfect. These cables will actually stretch with age and use and that is what causes the low peddle.

Thanks, Mr_Shamrock. Very good info!

Old 11-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Default Parking brake adjustment

The parking brake on my XC 90 requires considerable force to apply and only travels a few clicks. How can I loosen it off a little. I can find no adjustment underneath the car. Have removed the cover around the pedal to expose the crank mechanism but still cant figure out how to adjust. This is a RHD model.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 AM

hey guys just a quick question, where did you get the spacer at and how much did it cost?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 AM

I had one that worked in my collection of nuts and bolts. It does not have to be a specific spacer and you could even just stack some washers. I would say that you should check your e-brake shoes and the drum first to make sure everything is in spec. I did with mine and the last thing I did was shim the adjuster after everything else was either replaced or checked to be within spec. You are basically just taking away some of the slack out of the cable with the spacer. Once you get down there and are looking at it you will see what I mean.