Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

parts list im creating.. and some random questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Default parts list im creating.. and some random questions

Okay, so I have decided to pick up the 160degree thermostat and electric fans for my first bit... Then I will be working on the throttle body and possible throttle body spacer... and then I want to get my exhaust done.. so I just want to make sure I have the right stuff before I go and buy it.. the dude at the autozone right near my house was less than useful and so I have resorted to their website..

Electric fan;

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...oductId=523794

160 degree thermostat:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...2_0_1640_93208

Throttle body questions...

What all do I need to bore it out? type of sand paper and finishing paper?

The spacer...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...a_1500_hd.html

is there a difference in those products from the above website? Other than for different model/year vehicle.. I have seen them for as little as like $90 and as much as $150 and didnt know what the differences were if any?

Also in my attempt at researching this stuff I ran into a few products that I have never seen or heard of before and didnt know if you had seen or maybe used them.. are these even worth looking at for any reason?

electric turbo (1-3 psi)
vortex cone

those two are the only ones I can remember as of yet.. they both claim to increase mpg's.. also power.. but thats so small an increase.. I am more interested in the mpg..

Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by GO0|3ER

Also in my attempt at researching this stuff I ran into a few products that I have never seen or heard of before and didnt know if you had seen or maybe used them.. are these even worth looking at for any reason?

electric turbo (1-3 psi)
vortex cone

those two are the only ones I can remember as of yet.. they both claim to increase mpg's.. also power.. but thats so small an increase.. I am more interested in the mpg..
Too good to be true...usually is the case. I would not waste the time or money on anything like this that claims to add MPG, power, more household income and a better sex life. Its just not gonna happen.

I would suggest a CAI, even a Ebay one shipped for $93.
Install a aftermarket Muffler in place of your stocker.
Also, I wouldnt really waste the cash on the spacer either...doesnt do much.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by dedge
Too good to be true...usually is the case. I would not waste the time or money on anything like this that claims to add MPG, power, more household income and a better sex life. Its just not gonna happen.

I would suggest a CAI, even a Ebay one shipped for $93.
Install a aftermarket Muffler in place of your stocker.
Also, I wouldnt really waste the cash on the spacer either...doesnt do much.
If you don't want to drop the $ on a cold air intake, you can just modify your air box. Just remove the bottom of the box and mark how low the air filter sits on the side of the box facing the front of your truck. Then you want to use a dremel or something similar and cut a piece out of the box to allow for more airflow. Make sure you cut BELOW where the air filter sits or it will not be pulling air thru the filter. I cut about a 2.5" square out of mine and it seems to be working quite well. If you ever want to go back to stock, you can simply use some epoxy to put the piece you cut out back in

Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by gc67
If you don't want to drop the $ on a cold air intake, you can just modify your air box. Just remove the bottom of the box and mark how low the air filter sits on the side of the box facing the front of your truck. Then you want to use a dremel or something similar and cut a piece out of the box to allow for more airflow. Make sure you cut BELOW where the air filter sits or it will not be pulling air thru the filter. I cut about a 2.5" square out of mine and it seems to be working quite well. If you ever want to go back to stock, you can simply use some epoxy to put the piece you cut out back in
Thats what i done to mine until I can get a CAI. Also did the "air gap" intake mod(remove pads under intake), TB coolant bypass.