Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Passenger side camper mirror and oil gauge problems

Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Default Passenger side camper mirror and oil gauge problems

I recently purchased a 2004 GMC 2500HD with camper package. The passenger side "accordian" mirror will not travel in or out along with the driver's side mirror. Is there a fuse for this function, or do I have a bad mirror motor? The horizontal/vertical tilt functions work okay on both exterior mirrors.

Also, the oil pressure gauge is pegged full scale. Is this to be expected when the sending unit is bad? If so, is the sending unit the sensor I've spotted on the back of the oil pan?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:19 PM

It sounds like you have a bad mirror motor, you would have to replace the mirror assembly and about the oil pressure gauge you mite have a bad sensor or and electric issue.The sensor is located in back of the intake and you need a special socket to take it off or if you can get a wrench in there you can take it off. The sensor you are talking about is the oil level sensor.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 AM

Thanks for your reply, GMC1989. I got a neighbor to push the mirror control button as I pulled it away from the truck. I could hear a motor running in the mirror, but I suspect a worm gear has gone bad. Do you have any idea of how these mirrors are removed from the truck and disassembled?

Are you familiar with the Haynes repair manual for GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado trucks? Mine is a diesel, and the on-line description of the Haynes manual says it does not cover the diesel engine, but I suspect most of the other material covered applies to both diesel and gasoline trucks. Other than the expensive GM manuals, are you aware of a manual that does cover the diesel, since the location of some of the sensors may be different than for gasoline engines.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 PM

There is no way to fix that mirror, it is a sealed unit. I work in a gm dealership and there is 2 types of diesel engine so i would have to know which RPO code you have. The RPO code is located in the glove box, it has to be a LB7 or a LLY. The oil pressure sensors are located in different spots.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Default Engine Type

The cheapest new mirror assembly I've found on line is around $500. Maybe I can get a mirror from a salvage yard. Do you know how the triangular interior cover that give access to the mirror screws comes off? Does it just pop off with a little prying or are the clips that need to be pushed in?

I don't see a RPO code inside the glove box. All I know is that the engine is a 6.6 L Duramax turbo diesel. Again the truck is a 2004 Sierra 2500HD.