Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

passenger side mirror broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Default passenger side mirror broken

Got a question for Argon or anyone else. Whats involved in R&R of my passenger side mirror. Its electric w/o directionals. Folded it in to get the mail and it broke. Cable is still attached, but thats it. Would like to find 1 in a salvage yard but not sure if any available. Will have to check. Oh yeah, my trucks an '03.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Default RE: passenger side mirror broken

Its easy to change 1 plug and 3 nuts (like my old dog). Just pop out the little plastic corner piece and you will see 3 gold colored nuts.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:24 AM

Ok, ya gotta be a bit more explicit. On inside of door panel? At top where theres like a small trianglar piece? Do i pop that off? Wheres the plug yer talking about? I'll have to look in a bit and see if i can see what your referring to. Are you saying, i don't have to remove the door panel? I'm not really mechanically inclined so the better details i can get, the better off i'll be. Thanx rxsteven.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:23 AM

Yep its the small triangular piece at the top and it pops off. After you pop it off you might see a piece of foam (for installation) if so just pull it out. You dont have to take off the panel. Its real easy just be carefull not to drop a nut in the door or you will want to take off the door panel to get it out. I dropped one in and thought no big deal and replaced it. But now I can here it in there when I hit bumps. Also it can get caught up in something and mess it all up.

Oh yeah here is some picture's of mine with no mirrors I think it looks cool like that.
Name:  4-17-08005.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  4-17-08006.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  4-17-08010.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  59.8 KB

Old 07-04-2008, 11:17 AM

Ok, Got the triangular piece off, saw the foam insulation, took that out, took the 3 nuts off the bolts, and yes, dropped 1 down inside, but my mirrors are electric, and the wire runs inside the door panel and over to my power window switch. I was kinda hoping the mirror/wiring harness would disconnect from the mirror itself but i don't see where it does. I had the door panel all but off the truck but couldn't see why the power mirrors (Glass adjustment)would connect to the power window switch, unless i was looking at it wrong. It would be a piece of cake if it connected/disconnected from the mirror itself or somewheres within reach. Let me know if i'm missing something. I haven't gotten another mirror yet as todays the 4th, and no salvage yards are open.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 AM

Mine is a 2000 but it should be the same. There was a plug right were the mirror connects to the door id be real surprised if yours wasnt the same as mine I also have power mirrors. I really think you might have missed it but there should be a plug there 's got to be.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Theres a round hole (1" - 1.5") with 3 white plastic prongs that holds the mirror to the door. I did not see where it disconnects though.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:04 PM

Here is a few pics of when they were off the truck. They might give you a better idea of were to look for the plug.
Name:  4-17-08002.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  4-17-08003.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  4-17-08001.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  57.1 KB

Old 07-04-2008, 05:42 PM

Thankyou rxsteven for all your info. I found out that the wire does indeed hook onto the bottom of the window switch. I disconnected it, and am ready to put a new 1 in or used one if needed. I also found the nut/washer i dropped so life is good. Thanx again, Jim

Old 07-04-2008, 06:44 PM

So there isn't another plug near the window?

Quick Reply: passenger side mirror broken