Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

please help, '04 electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Default please help, '04 electrical problems

I have a 2004 Silverado with the 4.8. My problem started with the lights (blue and red) for the A/C controls went out on the passenger side. The A/C was working fine though. About a month later, the A/C started blowing out hot air on the drivers side. I turned the truck off and re-started it and the A/C was working fine. This has happened to me a total of 3 times in the last 2 months. Also, my passenger side brake light wasn't working, so I pulled the bulb. The bulb looked good so I switched the bulb with the drivers side brake light to try and pin point if I was even getting power to the passenger side. After switching the bulbs both sides worked and as far as I know it hasn't happened again. Now, my driver's side running light will work for a while and the quit working and vise versa.

I have an after market radio that was installed in 2004 about a month after purchasing the truck, the fatory radio is connected to the wiring harness due to being told that the factory radio has a lot to do with the "brains" of the vehicle.

Is anyone else having these problems or have any advise? I have read through these forums and I haven't seen anything about it unless I overlooked it. If the topic is on here I appolgize for repeating a question.

Thanks for your time,
Corey

Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 AM
Default RE: please help, '04 electrical problems

my guess is that when the installer wired the stock stereo under the dash/seat/where ever, he tapped into some of the heater/ac wiring. my advice is to see if you have the proper wiring harnesses for the '04. you need a special harness (about $75-$125) to keep everything happy. i never let anyone work on my stereos just for that reason. it seems like something either gets broken (trim panels, etc.) or you end up with electrical problems. seriously, buy a stereo from somewhere like crutchfield next time, and you'll get detailed instructions to install it yourself. i have an '04 silverado with the 4.8 and i have an aftermarket stereo. i do not have the stock stereo wired and hidden anywhere. i bought the extra wiring harness needed to keep the trucks computer happy. my stereo sounds awesome, and i have no electrical issues. my advice is get to know your truck, install everything you can, and some things you cant!

happy truckin'