Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Problem replacing upper intermediate shaft

Old 09-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Beginner
Default Problem replacing upper intermediate shaft

Hey everyone,

I've got an '05 GMC Sierra with the I-shaft clunking issue. I've purchased the replacement part (Dorman), but I can't seem to get the old part out. I've unbolted it at both ends, but as the first photo shows, there's a plate attached to the firewall underneath the dash and between the I-shaft and accelerator pedal that seems to be blocking it from being able to be removed. The instructions provided to me by Dorman state to "Remove the accelerator pedal position sensor". I'm assuming that that is what that plate is, but I can't seem to find any instructions for removing that, and I'm hesitant to just start unbolting things because of the springs involved.

Also, as you can see in the second photo, removing the lower bolt (under the hood) doesn't seem to have loosened the shaft at all as it still seems to be stuck together as if the bolt is still there - would WD-40 be good here?

Lastly, although I'm able to move the shaft up and down and side-to-side from underneath the dash, the lower connection doesn't really move at all. It feels like there's another connection inside the boot that surrounds it and that is attached to the firewall. I also can't seem to slide that boot down in order to see what's underneath it.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Beginner

OK, I was able to remove the gas pedal and resolve the boot issue. However, the main issue of the lower end of the I-shaft not loosening remains. I've sprayed WD-40 on this, grabbed the I-shaft with channel locks and hammered the channel locks toward the firewall to try to loosen it, but no luck. This thing is completely stuck. I don't have a torch, and I'm also not familiar enough with everything nearby to know whether or not it's safe to heat it with a torch. Any ideas?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 PM
TMW

So you have taken out the bolt shown in the red circle?
My 2004 service manual says mark the shaft.
Remove the nut and bolt from the lower shaft to the upper shaft connection. In red circle.
Remove the nut and bolt from the upper shaft to steering column connection. (it looks like this is on the other side of the fire wall).
Slide the intermediate shaft down, out of the steering column connection.
Remove the accelerator pedal position sensor.
Slide the upper intermediate shaft towards the instrument panel, out of the lower intermediate shaft.
If need be I can copy and post the manual instructions and pixs. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by TMW
So you have taken out the bolt shown in the red circle?
My 2004 service manual says mark the shaft.
Remove the nut and bolt from the lower shaft to the upper shaft connection. In red circle.
Remove the nut and bolt from the upper shaft to steering column connection. (it looks like this is on the other side of the fire wall).
Slide the intermediate shaft down, out of the steering column connection.
Remove the accelerator pedal position sensor.
Slide the upper intermediate shaft towards the instrument panel, out of the lower intermediate shaft.
If need be I can copy and post the manual instructions and pixs. Good luck.
Yes, both bolts came out just fine. I can't pull the shaft out from the inside of the truck because where the lower bolt was connected won't move. The bolt is out, but the shaft won't disconnect. That rusty piece won't pull out of the black piece.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 PM
TruckForum Addict

It's most likely just rusted into place. If it were me, I'd probably get in there with a sharp chisel bit on my air hammer and carefully tap a groove into the shaft and light work it out. As far as I know, it's just a snug fit made tight by the development of rust in between the two metals. WD-40 is a good thing, but it might need to set for a while. I would avoid heat in that area.

What you can try is get inside the truck and use a hammer and tap on the flange of the shaft to try and pull it out of the joint under the hood. Once the two joints are free from one another, the whole assembly should pull through the firewall. I'd say it's probably gonna fit better coming out through the interior of the car.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Beginner

I gave up and took it into the shop. I PB Blasted it several times, including letting it sit overnight, and the thing isn't budging. It was time to cut my losses. Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 PM
TruckForum Addict

Did you ask them what they ended up doing to get it off?

Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by NullHead
Did you ask them what they ended up doing to get it off?
Yeah, they said that they blasted it with some penetrating oil (which I had already done) and then I think they whacked it with an impact hammer (a tool that I don't have).

Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah I thought that's what would do the trick! At least it got done and you got your truck back to normal. No more clunky steering

Thanks coming back and telling us what happened.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Beginner

I'm very happy about that, for sure. Unfortunately, I've got two more issues to work on: replace a front impact airbag sensor and replace the vapor canister vent solenoid. Already ordered the parts from Amazon.