Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Problem with starting???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Default Problem with starting???

hey guys ive got a question?
My Silverado will start sometimes but not all the time, and sometimes it will click at the first turn of the key and wont turn, but if i try a couple more times it will turn over and start. the other night it would start at all, but then the next morning it started up fine. today it wont start at all. ive tried jumping it and swap a battery with someone else and neither worked sooo.... im just really confused as to why it will work sometimes and then not at other times and what is the prob? any feedback would be appreciated

Old 12-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Default RE: Problem with starting???

sounds like a starter gear not kicking out. try taping the starter with a hammer while someone turns the key. You should hear the starter spinning. If this is the case - new starter.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:09 PM

i think its the solenoid on the starter. yes, tap the starter but DONT have someone inside starting the truck for you!!!!! do it yourself, you dont want to be under the truck while its being started, thats really unsafe. but yes, give it a tap then try it out. i had the same problem on a different gm car. If thats what it is, the easiest thing to do is just change the whole starter. GOOD LUCK buddy...

ps.
what year truck?

Old 12-09-2006, 12:10 AM

I disagree about danger in tapping while starting. There are no exposed moving parts to harm you. Only possible danger would be if you tried to start vehicle while in gear if manual trans. If auto, will not even start. Also if not tapping while turning starter, may not kickout. I agree it could be the solenoid, but usually the solenoid goes out and stays out, not intermittent.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:07 AM

ORIGINAL: smoke20

I disagree about danger in tapping while starting. There are no exposed moving parts to harm you. Only possible danger would be if you tried to start vehicle while in gear if manual trans. If auto, will not even start. Also if not tapping while turning starter, may not kickout. I agree it could be the solenoid, but usually the solenoid goes out and stays out, not intermittent.
True, the vehicle dont start if it is in gear OR IN NEUTRAL. BUT there is always a chance i could slip in reverse and you DONT want to take the chance on your life with something so simple. That is why, REALLY, you should always disconnect your battery when working on your vehicle if you really want to be tech about things.
As for your solenoid, (being tech about things) it could be GOING out, but not out completly. Meaning, it will kick out only sometimes, mostly when its warm already but not limited to that.
So you can take advice from somebody that has had that problem already or some smoker.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:14 AM

I had the same problem- just this past week with my 95 silverado (350). After taking it for the battery to be tested- they told me that it was the starter. So I just replaced the starter & now it seems to be worse! Any ideas on why a brand new starter is having issues starting? Or what the spec's should be for a starter on my truck?

Old 12-09-2006, 02:32 AM

I did not mean to upset "under construction". I apoligise if if seemed that way. don't get offensive - smoke is for my favorite nascar driver Tony Stewart (that will probably cause more confrontation).

Another issue could be the ground wire from your engine block to frame. I had that problem with my 93 Z-71. Took a while to figure out but it was a 1/4" ground wire that got against the exhaust and shorted out. I replaced it with a 1" ground wire (from napa) mounted to a/c compressor mount and frame - had no problem after for 5 years.