Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem starting my truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Default problem starting my truck

hey guys, first time post. got a 96 4x4 silerado 5.0. went to start it up lastnight and wouldnt. the starter is strong but its not firing. battery is new and has a good charge. checked fuses. dont know how to check to see if a relay is working. i puller a plug and there is a spark. i noticed that there was a whine from the rear of the truck. im thinking now it was the fuel pump on its way out. i banged on the tank and had a buddy tring to start it. no luck. i put my ear to the tank and had him turn the key on and off and turn the starter on and off and couldnt hear it making any noise. so im thinking that this is my problem. now ill be pissed if i change it out, buy a new pump and it doesnt fix the problem. so i got acouple of questions.
is there anyway to test if its the pump once i pull it out?
is swapping it out hard with two people doing it?
is there a easy way to swap it out?

Thanks for all the help.

Matty

Old 05-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Better yet test it while it is in the truck. You will need a fuel pressure tester which you should be able to rent from your local parts store. Hook it up, turn the key on and see what your pressure reads. If you do need to change it I have found it easier (believe it or not) to unbolt the bed. There are only like 8 bolts, the gas filler neck with the ground, and unplug the rear harness. You can lift the bed and set it on the tires and bumper and get right to the tank. Plus your not working on your back (which sucks especially if you happen to have alot of gas in the tank). My brothers just went out in his 89 Silverado and we did the whole job in about 3 hours in his driveway. Obviously check your fuel filter to make sure it isn't clogged...for $8.00 I would probably just replace it unless you have just changed it recently. Good luck man!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:47 AM

If it's low on fuel, it's easier underneath. I changed mine by myself in an hour and a half. Before you do all that, check your fuel pump relay (14$). The bed trick works well, if your bolts are clean and easy to remove, but if you have a tow package, there probably ampacted on.... Good luck!