Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project help please??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Default Project help please??

I have a 88 chevy 2500, and a GMC 3500, not sure of the exact year, i would say early 90's. the chevy is gasoline, has a 350, 3 speed auto on the column with overdrive, the GMC is diesel, has a 350, 3 speed auto on the column with overdrive.

my question is, is it possible to put the diesel motor into the chevy truck? if so what complications, if any, does one being diesel and the other being petrol bring up? This is my first project, and i was thinking of taking it on, because it doesn't seem to me like it would be to much of a hassle? am i wrong?

Last edited by wrtcs; 05-20-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Since you have the complete donor truck it should be just a matter of swapping everything between the two. Are they both the same body style? I can't remember if the 88 2500 kept the earlier body style.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 PM

The 3500 is more rounded on the front, and four door, and the 88 2500 is 2 door and more square on the front. When you say its just a matter of switching everything over, what are you meaing?

Can i get away with just switching the motor, or do i have to switch the motor, trans and rear end?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:17 PM

If they were the same body style then it would have been a much easier ordeal. I would say don't attempt it...you will probably run into a lot of wiring, sensor, ECM, etc. issues. The rear end should not have to be swapped, and the transmissions might be the same (are they both overdrive or 3 speeds?). Personally I would sell them both and buy the truck you are looking to build.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 PM

yeah transmissions are the same, 4 speed, 1,2,3 and overdrive. sorry didnt make it clear.

So if the body styles are the same all should go smooth otherwise dont bother?

I just want a diesel truck and figured this would be an easier way, seeing as the chevy was free and gmc was cheap cause the truck is wrecked.

thank you for the help, its much appreciated.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 AM

It will be a mission either way, just a harder one if they aren't the same era truck. Just my personal opinion - the older Chevy diesels SUCK! This coming from a guy that only drives GM vehicles. So after all that work you would have a truck that wouldn't even be that strong - which is the whole reason for driving a diesel right? Again this is just my opinion - but being in the business my entire life it is a somewhat educated opinion.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:49 AM

No i totally agree with you, ive herd nothing but horror stories about the chev 350 diesels, but was told if it was a 6.2 id be alright. the truck is sitting in my old bosses yard, in an old work truck, so im not entirely sure what size it is or anything.

What older disels would you reccomend? seein as if i do end up getting one it will would be used, and not from a dealership.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:44 PM

Well like Mr_Shamrock said, the swap is definitely possible, however there will be some issues that you will run into. And as for other motors, a 5.9L 12 Valve Cummins would work, seen that swap made a few times.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:03 PM

I have never really been into diesels, but it seems the popular opinion are the Cummings are the best, followed closely by the 7.3 Liter Powerstroke. From what I have been told all the Chevy diesels suck up to the Duramax, which seems to be holding its own. I have driven a couple of the 6.2's and I think they are horrible motors. I think Chevy just put it out to have a diesel option and didn't do their homework. I am sure some will disagree because there is always someone who has had good experience with them, but that seems to be rare. FYI I am in the business and am at auto auctions 4 days a week so I get to talk to a lot of different people about vehicles. The older Chevy diesels don't get any attention at the auctions I attend. I was even tempted a few weeks back...there was a Chevy 1500 Z-71 with a 6.5 Turbo diesel and it was in fair condition. The truck didn't even bring $3000. Like I said I am not a diesel guy, but that seemed to be a good deal. From what I understand that is the same motor they use in the big Hummer H1's so you would think they would be decent. I don't know.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 PM

Wow, ok well, how old are we talking about? i went and checked out the truck, and its a 1996 GMC 6.2 Turbo diesel.

Ya you would think if it was used in the H1's that it would be a decent motor? i think i may be screwed anyways, because as you said the body styles would be different between an 89 Chev and a 96 GMC.

thank you for all your help, i really do appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Project help please??