Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Remote Start and Heating

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Default Remote Start and Heating

We have a 2009 Silverado with remote start. During the summer when we started it remotely the AC would come on to cool the vehicle. Now that winter is arriving I would like to defrost/warm up the truck before entering it.
I am baffled with the instructions for getting defroster/seats etc on.
Do I have to turn everthing on in the vehicle prior to shutting down the vehicle. IE: switch on defrost to high, crank up the heat temp, switch seat warmers on, rear window defrosters on. Seems weird to have to do all that.
Any help greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

CdnSailor

Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 PM

I haven't read the book on this, but that's what I do, prior to shut down. -- 09 Silverado, also. --

Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 AM

If I leave the auto climate control on I can get heat with remote start but it takes a minute. It seems that when set to automatic the system will not come on until it can actually put out heat. If I turn the auto setting off and turn the defrost on manual when I shut the truck off it starts as soon as I use the remote start regardless of engine temp. It seems to work better for me in manual mode during the winter months. 2009 GMC Sierra SLE.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM

I don't have the digital controls on mine so I have to set mine to high and heat if I want it to come on with the factory remote.
I know in the summer when you start it by remote it is suppose to try to reach 70 degrees, if it needs to turn on the AC to do it, it will. From what I am told in the service department "you are suppose to leave it in the AUTO MODE to have the heat or the AC work. But in the winter it has to be below 40 degrees before the heat will come on." I find that to be true on the ones I have sold. On mine if I put it on hot it does not matter what the temp is the heat just comes on when I start it.
As far as I know the heated seats will not come on automatically, those can only be started by pressing the button. It is a safety feature according to the service department anyway. I have had leather in all my wife's vehicles for years now and none of those would ever come on with the remote. Same with the rear defroster, the button has to be pressed for it to come on.
Hope that is some help to you.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM

I believe it uses the outside temp to determine what it will do. I'm pretty sure it defaults to using the defrost and puts it on full blast. I know that as soon as I get in and turn the key it goes to my previous setting, but it's totally different when the remote start is active. I had an 07 Saturn with the factory start and it would turn on the rear defroster, heated mirrors, and the main defrost it was the best thing about the car. I assume the truck it pretty much the same I just don't have the rear defrost in the truck.