Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Removing lift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Beginner
Default Removing lift kit?

I was wondering what it would take to remove a lift kit from a 03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I'm looking at this truck, and it looks great plus has everything on my list of what I want in a truck: 4x4, extended cab, power seats, and enough power to tow my horse trailer. Plus, it's located only half an hour away from where I live. It also has a few extras I don't need, like heated leather seats and a touch-screen CD player, custom exhaust and rims...and a 6-inch fabtech lift kit.

I'm pretty short (only 5 foot 1), so I don't know that I really want a truck with that much lift. It doesn't have any running boards or nerf bars, which would definitely need to be added if I decide on this truck. I guess I won't really know until I test drive it, but I wondered how difficult it is to remove a lift kit from a truck that already has one on it (if I decide it's too tall for me)?

Also, as a side question, I wondered what an average user MPG was for a 2500HD. This one has the 6.0L V8 engine so it's gas powered and not diesel.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Removing it can be pretty difficult especially if you have to track down stock parts (unless the truck comes with all the stock stuff). As far as mileage the 6.0's aren't known fo great mileage. The one I used to drive (2001 regular cab long bed 4X4) got around 12 empty. It had 4.10 gears and was a beast though. Pulling a trailer you will probably get down in the single digits. With that lift I assume it has larger tires which will hurt you towing a little and decrease mileage even more unless they changed the gears in it. If they did change gears then putting it back stock will be even more expensive or you will be turning some serious high RPM's with the stock size tires = even less MPG's