Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Replacing stock deck

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Beginner
Default Replacing stock deck

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2005 GMC Sierra Hybrid 5.3L V8. It came with a stock deck which has a CD player and a tape deck (double din). I wanted something that would play MP3s so I bought an aftermarket deck (single din) that has an auxiliary in and USB playback. I went to install it today but was unable to get any of the speakers to work. I didn't have the harness cable and was connecting all the wires manually. I got the new deck to power up, but that's about it. I found few wire schematics for the stock deck online with all the colour codes for the speakers but still nothing. I also found I had to hook up red and yellow wire together to the orange wire in the truck to get the new deck to power up and when I removed the keys and even locked the doors, the deck was still on.

I did some searching online and found that apparently with these trucks you have to buy a special $150 harness. Without it the deck won't work properly as well as the warning sounds (like when you leave the lights on, or when the door is open, or when the seatbelt isn't buckled) will not work as they're wired with the stock deck to go through the truck's speakers. For those of you who did swap out your stock deck for an after market one, did you have to buy such harness? Or where you able to get around that in some other way. I also noticed that I would need an adaptor for the car antenna as the stock connection is much smaller than the after market deck.

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2015, 11:48 PM
Beginner

For those who are/will be in the same spot as me, I called Crutchfield and you do need a harness that's $109 (CAN), plus an antenna adaptor for $11 (CAN) to replace the stock double din deck. Well, since I bought my deck for $110, I didn't want to spend another $110 on the harness alone. My stock deck works just fine so I decided to return the deck I bought and got this tape deck adaptor. I wasn't sure at first how it would perform, but after trying it today I must say it's basically CD quality. And trust me, I'm pretty picky when it comes to sound quality. It's hard to believe an item that cost me $13 (CAN) with shipping included would sound this good! The only time I use my deck with my phone to listen to my MP3s is when I'm traveling, camping, etc, so in the end there is no point in spending $250 just to listen to MP3s once in a while. Below is the link to the adaptor. Works like a charm!

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00JAY397S/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1 http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00JAY397S/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1

Old 10-21-2015, 07:31 AM

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Your input is sure to help others.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Thanks for coming back to update us... Your post is definitely valuable information. Sorry none of us were of any help. But your thread I'm sure will help others.