Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Requesting Advice With 2 Mystery Water Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Default Requesting Advice With 2 Mystery Water Leaks

Hi Everyone!
I've got 2 water leaks in my 2000 Sierra's cab that have me baffled! The water collects under both of what I think are called "Kick Panels" (The plastic trim your foot goes on when entering the truck.) If I don't notice, the water fills the area below the trim and eventually gets to the carpet padding. I've got it tracked to rain. I dried everything and the truck sat for the last 2 days of rain. (No Driving) The water's back. It has about a half-cup on each side. Last time I had a wet floor, it was the driver's side air pressure relief vent flaps (which were gone).

This time, here's what I've tried: Studied every posting on this forum for possibilities & checked them all on my truck. Verified it was water & not coolant. (Clear & clean). Verified the A/C drain wasn't clogged (ran water through it in both directions.) Verified the windshield was not leaking (had a shop check it). I even checked to see if the headliner was dry. I pulled the carpet, padding & trim. Then dried everything. I sat inside with a light while the truck was coated with hose water from every angle & for a long time. Copious amounts of water was flowed over the windshield (in case of a seal leak) and the door windows (in case of a liner leak). Naturally, no water appeared! I tired it again & again.

After that, I coated the floor and the trough under the kick panel trim with taclum powder (to indicate a path & see if the water was flowing from the rear of the cab). After the 2 day rain, the water was present & I found no trace of a path. None!

Do any of you have a suggestion for this problem? And, failing a solution, what do you think of me drilling a small hole where the water pools? It would drain into the rocker panels & (allegedly) out the panel weep slots? I'd keep the hole small & paint the driled metal. Or- is there supposed to be a drain in this area somewhere for water from snowy boots or open windows? (I'd have to guess water doesn't belong- Wires lay in this area.)

Thanks, all for help with this challenge!
Paul

Old 10-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Wow you got a good one on your hands. If it is coming in with rain than theoretically a water hose should give you the same result. I would sit in the truck with the carpet pulled back and the window pillar covers removed and have someone spray the truck down. Even spray the rear window and down between the cab and bed (there is a vent down there to relieve pressure when the door shuts that could be a possible leak area). It looks like you have an extra cab so spray around those windows also. Does the water go back to the extra cab also. If it only gets wet when it rains than the hose test has to eventually reveal the leak - just keep at it. I wouldn't drill a hole in the floor, but thats just me. Good Luck!

Old 10-03-2010, 11:12 PM
TruckForum Addict

I wonder if teh water is coming in through the fresh air that flows from the front of the windshield where the black plastic cover is. Doesn't that open area have a drain that flows down the sides and out near the front quarter panels? Maybe it has a cracked seal somewhere in that location... just a thought good luck.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Default Worth Checking!

Thank you both!
I'll take the pillar trim off, drench the truck and study further. The idea of the front fresh air inlet causing a leak may be viable, too. I have lots of maple trees and, in the past, I've had to remove the plastic slotted & screened trim at the base of the windshield to pull fist fulls of those helicopter things out. I wonder if the drain is, indeed, blocked.

If (I mean WHEN) I find it & solve it, I'll post the results for others to see. (I really, really don't want to drill- Just 'cause that ain't the way it is supposed to be.

Paul

Old 01-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Beginner
Default mystery truck leak

I had the same problem with an 06 GMC Sierra. I took it to the dealer and they had a guy come in that specializes in vehicle leaks. He said the gasket around a fresh air vent that is on the back left of the cab about a foot below the bed. I just got my truck back today so I don't know if it's fixed or not.