Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

same old crap 94 chevy low idle, low voltage..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 PM
ofg
Default same old crap 94 chevy low idle, low voltage..

O/K, here we go again. A few weeks ago I had a problem with my 94 silverado. Truck died at 70 mph on the highway, let it cool for 20 minutes, started right up, got home. So, I replaced ignition module, cap and rotor. For one day it seemed to run better, idle was up to normal, and volt gauge read a healthy 13.5 volts constant.

Today, we load up for a trip to the lake,, and like the title,, same old crap! Volt gauge reads low, barely 12 volts at highway speed, idle is back down to almost zero indicated on the tach. From recent experience,, I can assume it will die again on the highway.

Anyway,, rather than ruin a good day with a POS truck,, I turned back home, loaded everything into my trusty rodeo,, and we went to the lake with no worries.

I have searched this and other forums for literally hours trying to find solutions. Most threads go UNFINISHED,, as if problem never solved. I did notice a BUNCH of people having similar problems with 88-98 chevy gmc trucks.

Possible solutions, Idle Air Control,,Throttle position Sensor,, Coolant temp Sender,, Ignition coil,, Distributer,,fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump resistor, Dirty TBI,, vacuum leaks,, EGR,, Main engine control computer.... The list goes on and on.

No check engine codes being thrown.

I NEED HELP FIXING. I would like to solve this and then sticky the thread so all the thousands of people with the same problem can have PEACE!

I am just gonna unload this crap truck if I cannot fix it. I do not want to waste $$ on guessing game parts replacement. Thats what most folks are doing,, and their trucks still do the same thing. I never found a single thread with a definitive "solved". Like mine,, it seemed good, then resurfaced...

Help!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:59 PM
ofg

O/K, so like in my other post,, I think its definitely temperature related. On the road today it was HOT out there,, and of course, the truck temp gauge reads low normal. This evening,, in the cool dusk air,, I fired it up, and put a volt meter on it. Dash volt gauge and hand held volt meter both indicate above 13 volts,, hand held indicated 13.7 with air conditioner running, and 13.9 with everything off,, just idling.

Of course in the cool evening, the idle was a steady 400-450 indicated on the dash gauge.

I did notice a funny noise coming from the passenger side, top of the engine. Like a rattle, or a crackling sound. I dont know. Seems like there should be a cause and a cure.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:57 AM

How is the main ground cable going to the engine? Clean and tight?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
ofg

I redid all the ground straps I could find. Just undid, cleaned up, and refastened. No change. Its temp related I am sure.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Beginner
Red face Stalling and hesitation 1994 GMC Sierra

Originally Posted by ofg
I redid all the ground straps I could find. Just undid, cleaned up, and refastened. No change. Its temp related I am sure.

Have same problem. Truck was running fine. Then started overheating and so went through the whole thermostat thing, took out the thermostat to flush the system with tons of water and such. Then was time for the emissions test and the guy at the emissions told me to put the thermostat back in b/c of temp problems. Ever since this I have had problems at low idle when warm, stalling and such. And at start up, cold engine, the engine cuts out when I accelerate, so I have to really step on it so it does not stall. This last bit is every time when cold but when it warms up no problem with acceleration but when it is warm it will die sometimes when at idle. Thought maybe after doing all of the tune up stuff; wires, plugs, dist cap, and rotor that maybe the timing might have been messed with over the years.... I bought the truck with 190,000 miles on it, so knew there would be some problems later.... Not sure if this even helps, but would like to get this thread going again....