Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Should I let them take the Truck Bed Off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Default Should I let them take the Truck Bed Off?

For a couple of months I heard a strange noise coming from the back and I could not figure it out. I washing my truck and finally found the cause - a air vent that is attached to the back side of the cab (passenger side). I took it into the dealership and they told me that they cannot replace it unless they take the bed of the truck off. I showed a friend and we tried to snap the vent into place and we cannot - the vent gets snapped intoplace and then screwed tight. While we tried this we noticed that the vent itself is broken and the sheetmetal that makes the vent slot is bent. I say that is a factory defect due to very poor fabrication work. It is not effecting any mechanical or electrical part of the truck, but I am very concerned about taking the bed off just to replace a $15.00 part.
Will there be a potential danger after having a factory torqued bed replaced with a dealership torqued bed?

Old 02-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Default RE: Should I let them take the Truck Bed Off?

Why not? People take them off all the time replacing fuel pump, etc.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:34 AM

The dealership will re-torque the bolts back to the factory specs, so I would'nt worry about it. Besides, if they dont you just go back and make them do it again.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: JohnO356

Why not? People take them off all the time replacing fuel pump, etc.
We've done it before, and we haven't had any problems.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:04 AM

Well if they need to remove it so be it. Its not a major ordeal to do this. I understand trying to save a few bucks especially from a dealership. Its really something that you can do yourself just unbolt everything and slide the bed back far enough to work .
But make sure that you measure the distance between the cab and the bed on both sides
to help align the bed up. But usually the bolts will align up everything properly.
Its just something that helps out a bit. But good luck with it