Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight problem after new wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Default Slight problem after new wires

hey, i'm new to the web page. i have a 2006 crew cab silverado with a 5.3. i recently changed the stock spark plugs and wires out with E3 spark plugs in and MSD 8.5 mm super conductor wires. i did the plugs first and a week later did the wires. now after the truck is warmed up it'll shutter a little bit and the rpm's will drop just slightly. it'll only do this if i'm not moving. once i get going it runs great... a lot better than before i changed everything out. any ideas on what could be going on?

other things i have on the truck are K&N CAI, Jet TBS, and i descreen the MAF sensor.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 PM

It's just a shot in the dark but how long ago did you clean the MAF. I see you're running a K&N, they sometimes oil up the MAF and cause problems.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 PM

i cleaned the MAF yesterday after i descreened it.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 PM

OK well that rules that out. Bad batch of fuel or has this been going on for a while. Are you running a supercharger or some other sort of forced induction? Just wondering why you descreened the MAF with a N/A 5.3l.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM

I plan on filling up tomorrow so that could answer the bad batch of fuel question.

What do you mean by a N/A 5.3l. might i have screwed something up by descreening it?

I'm not running a supercharger or any forced induction either.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 PM

See what happens with the new batch of fuel. I usually stick with AC Delco plugs myself so I'm not going to pass judgement on the E3's.

N/A= Normally Aspirated. The MAF from the factory will flow more than any of us will ever get out of these engines. I personally wouldn't descreen one, guys are running close to 500 hp with factory MAF's. Some folks think it is the miracle cure for cheap hp.

I am about to start installing a magnacharger on my 5.3 and I wouldn't consider descreening. Good luck and I hope it's just bad gas.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:10 AM

X2 on the Oem parts. Keep your GM all Gm.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the help, if ithe new fuel dosen't help i guess i'll start changing everything back to ACdelco parts one at a time to single out the problem.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 AM
TruckForum Addict

The E3 plugs could be your problem. The other forum I am on everyone seems to be staying away from the E3 plugs. You could possibly have a bad wire. Just my 2 cents though.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:23 AM

how would i check to see if a wire is bad? replace one at a time with the stock wires and see what happens? or is there a better way to go about it?

Quick Reply: Slight problem after new wires