Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

slip between 2nd and 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Default slip between 2nd and 3rd

I took my 03 silverado 4x2 into the dealer a couple of months ago for a fairly significant slipping that's started between 2nd and 3rd. At the time, and without a lot of inspection, they told me I needed a new tranny at the tune of $2400.00.

Since I didn't have the money to fix it, I just kept on driving it. (about 7000 miles so far) The slip has not got any worse or better, doesn't make any funny noises, tranny fluid is not burnt or leaking. Once it's into gear it's fine. I have noticed that the first couple of shifts in the morning between 2nd and 3rd are fine..just starts to slip once it's warmed up. I'm starting to think this might be something simple...any ideas? Don't wanna drop $2400 into a tranny if I can fix it for less.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:07 AM
Default RE: slip between 2nd and 3rd

****... i got a rebuilt 4L60E for $600 plus another three to put it in... dont know where $2400 is comin from this was for an 02

Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 AM

I would start by checking the level of your transmission fluid. I'm sure you've done this and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but usually when the tranny fluid is low, slipping will occur. How many miles do you have on your truck? As an (unofficial) guideline, if your truck as less than 80,000 miles, you should try changing your fluid. Under 80,000 you should change your fluid and your internal fluid every 25,000 miles. Here is the thing with vehicles over 80,000 miles where regular transmission maintenance has not occured. With this scenerio, the fluid in tranny has become extremely dirty and gritty. The dirty and gritty fluid in your transmission is actually providing needed friction for the worn internal parts of the tranny. Therefore, changing the fluid could potentially make things worse, especially in the case of slipping.

So, I would start with the fluid and then go and get a second opinion. Go to a respectable transmission shop and have them diagnose the problem. It may cost you a few bucks, but it is better to find out exactly what the problem is. Most shops will give you the run-around and will have you try bull**** alternatives in hopes of correcting the problem. The reason I say this is in your post you stated, "without a lot of inspection, they told me I needed a new tranny!" That really concerns me and makes me wonder about the integrity of the person who told you this. Like I said bro, get a second opinion and get the exact diagnosis ofthe problem.

If this is more than a fluid problem, it will get worse. Trust me, I've had this problem happen in a 93 S-10 4x4 and I just drove it hoping it would go away, but it didn't. If it ends up that you need a new tranny, think long and hard about an overhaul of your current transmisson versus a brand new tranny. Both have its pros and cons, but I personally would just get a new tranny to save time. If you opt to have your tranny overhauled, you truck is going to be out of commission for a little while.

I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions please let us know and we'll find the answers for you. I'll talk to BigTexasChevy and see if he has any advice, because he his damn good with transmissions. Take it easy and once again, good luck!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: sknaffl

I took my 03 silverado 4x2 into the dealer a couple of months ago for a fairly significant slipping that's started between 2nd and 3rd. At the time, and without a lot of inspection, they told me I needed a new tranny at the tune of $2400.00.

Since I didn't have the money to fix it, I just kept on driving it. (about 7000 miles so far) The slip has not got any worse or better, doesn't make any funny noises, tranny fluid is not burnt or leaking. Once it's into gear it's fine. I have noticed that the first couple of shifts in the morning between 2nd and 3rd are fine..just starts to slip once it's warmed up. I'm starting to think this might be something simple...any ideas? Don't wanna drop $2400 into a tranny if I can fix it for less.

Is this thing actusally slipping (like going into neutral) or just delaying going to third (hanging in 2nd)

There is only one reason the trans will "slip",and thats because friction material on the clutches are worn off.Only an overhaul or replacement will fix that.

Now,if its DELAYING going into third...We're probably looking at a sticking 2-3 shift valve or solenoid,something along those lines.

Does the Mil come on?..

Old 03-04-2007, 11:11 AM

Thanks SC_Chevy lover....no offense taken on the fluid level.....that was the first thing I thought of as well...for some history on the fluid...I had it changed once at around 60,000 miles. Then I changed myself at around 115,000 miles (what a hell of a job that was...had to replace the tranny pan cause the drain plug would NOT come out and had to drill out the bolt on the bracket for the shifter)...the slipping started at around 130,000 and I changed again at 131,000. I've got 138,000 reading now.

As far as slipping vs. delayed shift, Argon, it's really hard to tell...I'll feel a thump at around 2800 RPM...then it revs up a bit...(more if i get on the accelerator.... won't rev at all if I back off)...then it just kinda drops into 3rd. Upshifting for 3rd to 2nd is not a problem...and if I have tow/haul on it seems to shift better. I've just gotten myself in the habit of letting off the gas a bit before the shift between 2nd and 3rd.

I had the tranny reprogrammed at around 4,000 miles after I first got it because of the clunk shift a lot of people expereince between 1 and 2nd...and the downshifting problem...but havn't had problems out of that since. I had thought this might be the problem now, but the dealer supposedly checked it and was ok.

I don't know any good local tranny guys here in Knoxville, what do you guys think of AAmco, or another chain type place...I need to find somewhere besides the dealer to take it.

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-04-2007, 01:03 PM

Your in knoxville tenn?..I have a lot of gm forum brothers,but no one in Tenn,I don't think..

It sounds like a delayed shift...a sticking valve.There may be an additive out there that can help...But if not,your probably looking at a new valve body.600'ish I imagine.You may not be wanting to spend 600 bucks on a tranny with 138k.

Its going to be VERY tough to get this kind of problem repaired...why?..pull up a stool.

Tranny joints are just that.."joints"...they know ONE thing,and that is to overhaul.They tend to be low-trained guys who pretty much yank er out and put in "the kit".The kit consists of new clutch plates,o-rings,thrust washers,filters,gaskets etc and a 79$ Dayco Tourqe converter.This all runs around the 1500-1800$ price range.(They'llhave about 200$ in parts...the rest is gravy)
Now..whats bad is..THEY DID NOT FIX THIS KIND OF PROBLEM with their kit.it STILL hangs up.WHY???because it needs a 500$ valve-body.AFTER the job is done,they will explain that it needs this part,and they had "no way of knowing earlier"...ya-ya-ya.
But they got your 1500...NOW you need to un-*** more money to get it fixed.By the time its done,you have spent over 2 grand,and you have the same trans with the new part,an inferior tourqe converter,and new clutches,and a 12,000 mile warranty.(and your down about 10 days)Suddenly,the 2400$ dealer price for complete replacement in 1 day does not seem so bad.

Ok..the dealer....The reason your dealer backed away from a "real" diagnosis is this....Dealers are cautious...Your dealer is not about to sink 600$ + into a 138k trans.The dealer would rather just replace it with a Serta unit in 1 day and move on.You and they are protected by gm's 50k replacement warranty on Serta;'s.

Ok..So you wantto find someone who can repair this and go on?..not likely...not impossible,but not likely.
WHY???...Why would a tech(Aamco or Gm)want to stick his neck out on the 600$ part?He needs the warranty protection as much as you do.What if the trans is repaired and it ****-cans 2 weeks later?who is going to un-*** a new tranny?

Your problem was not un-diagnosed due to lack of ability.its because ANY repair facility is tired of finding themselves in these snafu's.

Keep us posted bro..good luck!

Old 03-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the thorough insight, Argon. Definately got some thinking to do...probly time to whip out that credit card I just paid off with my tax refund and max her out again on a new GM tranny. She's paid off in about 6 months...so I might push it and see if it will make it until then. She's my daily driver now, but I plan on keeping this truck as a back up vehicle for life, if I can afford it....... I bought it brand new and overall she's been pretty good to me. Other than some steering shaft problems (which GM warranteed for life) and some hub bearing issues (which I've read on here that might be covered under a recall) ...she's held together fairly well. Decent gas mileage for a full size vehicle, comfortable ride, hell...I didn't even have to replace the brakes until 135,000 miles...and I still had quite a bit of pad left. I'll update this post once I've figured out what I'm gonna do....and what the problem turns out to be. Thanks!!

Old 03-04-2007, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Argon

Tranny joints are just that.."joints"...they know ONE thing,and that is to overhaul.They tend to be low-trained guys who pretty much yank er out and put in "the kit".The kit consists of new clutch plates,o-rings,thrust washers,filters,gaskets etc and a 79$ Dayco Tourqe converter.This all runs around the 1500-1800$ price range.(They'llhave about 200$ in parts...the rest is gravy)
Now..whats bad is..THEY DID NOT FIX THIS KIND OF PROBLEM with their kit.it STILL hangs up.WHY???because it needs a 500$ valve-body.AFTER the job is done,they will explain that it needs this part,and they had "no way of knowing earlier"...ya-ya-ya.
But they got your 1500...NOW you need to un-*** more money to get it fixed.By the time its done,you have spent over 2 grand,and you have the same trans with the new part,an inferior tourqe converter,and new clutches,and a 12,000 mile warranty.(and your down about 10 days)Suddenly,the 2400$ dealer price for complete replacement in 1 day does not seem so bad.

Ok..the dealer....The reason your dealer backed away from a "real" diagnosis is this....Dealers are cautious...Your dealer is not about to sink 600$ + into a 138k trans.The dealer would rather just replace it with a Serta unit in 1 day and move on.You and they are protected by gm's 50k replacement warranty on Serta;'s.

Ok..So you wantto find someone who can repair this and go on?..not likely...not impossible,but not likely.
WHY???...Why would a tech(Aamco or Gm)want to stick his neck out on the 600$ part?He needs the warranty protection as much as you do.What if the trans is repaired and it ****-cans 2 weeks later?who is going to un-*** a new tranny?

Your problem was not un-diagnosed due to lack of ability.its because ANY repair facility is tired of finding themselves in these snafu's.
There you go, you heard from a GM tech for over 20 years. This was what I was trying to explain about overhauling versus replacement. Bro, I know it sucks ***, but if it comes down to it, just spend the bucks and get a new tranny. Let us know what you do and good luck!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:55 AM

(what a hell of a job that was...had to replace the tranny pan cause the drain plug would NOT come out and had to drill out the bolt on the bracket for the shifter)...
I had to do the exact same thing, but i just bent the bracket over enought to fit the pan back up in there... what a mess. I dont know whats up with those plugs though...

Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 AM

Those plugs suck ***,all right..I don't know why Gm could not put a bolt in that could actually be used!

Quick Reply: slip between 2nd and 3rd