Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Slow Power Window, 1990 RV Series Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Beginner
Default Slow Power Window, 1990 RV Series Suburban

I've read several threads on this topic, but there never seemed to be a solution, only agreement that several have the same problem.

My driver-side window is very slow, and I want to fix it before it burns a motor up. Yes I know my vehicle is old (21 years, old style body Suburban), and I should expect little problems like this... but I want it fixed. And before I take the interior panel off I want to know what I will actually be doing. I've had the panels off several times before for other issues (usually rattle noise), and know that there is only little "windows" in the inside sheet steel of the doors.

So, should I just plan on lubricating the hinge points of the scissors that work the window, or is there other areas I should lubricate?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

You can try lubricating the "scissor" portion, but it rarely works. Usually the only way to repair it is with new motors. They just get old and tired like us.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:09 AM
TruckForum Addict

Grab a battery or jump box and see if you can jumper the leads right on the motor. If it moves fast in both directions, than your issue is between the battery and your motor. Also, take silicone spray and spray it in the black fuzzy brushes along the upper side of the window. Those dry out, and I've noticed that it can help.

If all else fails, get a new regulator and motor.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Beginner

OK... here's what I did, and it seemed to work very well. Took the upper panel off, greased the two horizontal slide/guide rails (short one is fixed, and longer one moves with the bottom of the window. Then did spray the silicone lube onto the verticle rubber guides, and added several drops of oil to all other pivot points. Cycled the window up and down a few times, and Walla!, now it's faster than all the others.

Oh... then needed to spend a bit of time cleaning smudges, finger prints, and oil off the window glass.

Thanks for you input!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Great - glad it worked and thank you very much for posting your results!