Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

So you wanna GO FAST !@!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Default So you wanna GO FAST !@!

I am a West Coast Old School Racer 1969 - Present day -
My uncle, Jess Tyree used to run A/gas from Fontana Raceway to Fremont to Lions to OCIR as well as the 8 western states preferred runs. He also built and sold the preferred Header back in the day "Tyree Headers."
If I could offer advice for the best perf upgrades I have found after spending much wasted money on , HERE THEY ARE and they work for ME. You should have your own ideas that should be respected here; these are listed to save you some cash of which I have wasted a ton of.
My 00/Z71 w/ Trailer Pkg - posi 4:10 rear; Dyno'd at rear wheels #1 367hp #2 362hp- BHP

1.) GMF MAF - Bought # 002 from JR when people were laughing at its worth over at LS1.com - I have had it reprogrammed/replaced by JR 4 times since for upgrade mods.
2.) Headers - Gibs - B&B - Borla - Edelbrock - JBA - They are all the same !@!
3.) Magnaflow FreeFlowing Cats w/y pipe & MF Cat back sys ( I have Borla on my C5, B&B on my Z28ss _ most dyno increase from MagnaFlow) - As for Bassani - I grew up with the brothers in Fullerton. They were awesome for my MX racing bikes back in 1969-77 - Their current x-pipe muf is nothing more than a Corvette Muf wannbe. There great guys so be nice..
4.) MSD Coils + Screaming Demon Coil + Dynamod + VORTEC Cap and Rotor + 8.5 wires
7.) Flexfan - Hear your 5.3 Spool up like never before PLUS an honest 7-10 hp
8.) JBL pulley reduction - get a 105 amp Alternator first.
9.) Air induction - they are all the same as K&N
10.) BBK 80mm TB
11.) TB Bypass
12.) Double Platium Plugs set at .60
13.) Helix Power Tower/Spacer - THIS SOB REALLY WORKS !@@! NS
14.) Demon Programmer - I know Hypertec is the fav BUT !@! the HP from the Demon is over 10hp more PLUS - you can CLEAR ANY AND ALL CODES - correct fuel pressure +/- and save your Tranny and Torque Converter with modulation <- this is important. There are 6 other mods that are not offered in any other programmer.
15.) This is the expensive one and seems redundant. GET A RE-PROGRAMED PCM - DUMP THE HANDHELD JUNK unless like me, you don't want to have to pay the Dlrshp to clear codes every time you do an upgrade (which they won't unless you can show a CARB #, in Calif).
You have a Goodguy REP here, use him if he is in your area or if he will ship. I went with Tom at Tbyrne Motorsports for my Truck only. (Steve Cole did my other cars) I used Tbyrne because of the real crazy **** that he can do LIKE
1.) When you hit your Tow/Haul it bumps the HP up 10-15+hp plus puts your entire drive train in Full Race mode - I can only say that the second chirp you may get from a hand held is nothing like the TIRE SPINNING KICKOUT my rear-end offers me WHEN I HIT SECOND GEAR (second gear shifts at 91 mph. That is near TRAP SPEED for a stock Silverado in a 1/4 mile run. No I haven't run it at Pomona. I stay away from hard starts, preferring the 1-3 mph rolling start - just saving parts as I have broken a few.
14.) -> IMPORTANT !@! If you going to do all this - Get a set of ProComp Traction Bars or anything similar. You will be putting immense spin on your Rear End which = snaping U-Joints. I have both the Procomp TBs and Airlift air bags in the rear

Please don't take my advice personal if your path has taken you elsewhere. I respect any and all racers and/or non-girly men who just want some umph. If your towing a boat (mine stays in Vegas at my Sis/in/Laws house), watch your mods, especially the PCM replacement. If you plan on alternating fuel pressure or timing curves, get some solid advice. Detonation is just a button away. Thanks for humoring me by reading this but trust this; what I have works for me something fierce. BTW; I am a gun loving Republican Hawk in a state filed with man/boy loving pussies who want to take every right away from us. Trust me, when dear ole Mom goes (I fear that day), I am outta here.

I know many of you guys have kids and/or tuition and/or a big Mor

Old 11-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Default RE: So you wanna GO FAST !@!

This has to be one of the best lists of mods and upgrades ever posted either here or any other forum I have seen, a few of our customers have comparable lists of mods including cam and forced induction changes but if you guys want to go faster this list will definitely get you going fast. As far as our custom tunes we do offer a discount to members of Truck Forums that can be found in the Member Group and Special Buys, we ship nation wide, we can also set up your tow/haul button for race mode and you can run whatever octane fuel that you want.

A few questions,
who did you have program your MAF and how might I get a hold of them?
and what electric fans do you run?

Everyone looking to go faster should start with this list, it makes it that much better if you are going to change cams or go forced induction.

Jason
Good Guys Garage
316-258-0358

Old 11-06-2006, 10:04 PM

ThankX first..
I have been buying Granatelli MAFs since 1999 when JR first introduced it to the LS1.com crew. I have to tell you, people were laughing at him and calling a MAF re-program BS. You know the rest is history. I send it back to him to get re-programmed time to time as I have my C5 and Z28/SS mafs here which work just fine while I wait for the re-programmed unit to return. Since I was a firm believer from day 1, he does it for nada. I assume he does the same for others as well; JR is a hell of a guy.
I run a Flex a Lite Fan, 5700 cfm per fan, set at 170*. Hypertec has had many problems with the 160* thermo so I just reamed out the 180* for free flow. My truck runs at about 175*-185*, a much better deal than GM's stock 205* thermo and I DO see a diff.
As I stated before, the PCM upgrade is the bomb, period; I should make it clear that the PCM re-program guys are far a few between. "HemiKiller's," connections should be well respected as I know that Ron Zimmerman and Steve Cole only share with the best. Chances are, his PCM program just may be better; Don't tell anybody I said that...
GUYS, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE PCM OFFER, YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT, EVER !@!

Granatelli Motor Sports, Inc. - 1000 Yarnell Place - Oxnard, CA 93033-2454 805-486-6644-Ph - 805-486-6684-Fax - E-Mail - Hours: M-F 8AM-5PM-PST
GL
Greek

Old 11-06-2006, 10:44 PM

A Respectful toast to Darryl Bassani who I bagged on in my original post.

I grew up in Fullerton Ca and knew the local Anahiem brothers from their non stop work for sponsered racers at Irivine Raceway as well as the FlatTrack Speedway bikes gang. In 1980 I dumped a 48' Indian I had built from a "basket case," at about 80. I broke a lot of bones and walked away from bikes.
Darryl sold me my fist pipe for my Hodaka Super Rat 125cc back in 1969 and it turned an already nasty bike into a true Irvine Raceway "you've been Punked," monster. I also put one on my 1970 Kawasaki Mach 3 500cc Blue Streak street bike; another kick *** piece of work. In 1972 I put his unit on my Norton Commander 750, a bike the older crew knows well as one hell of a nice *** kicking ride; shadowed only by Honda's 750 which was a true work of art for the time. I bought more pipes from them for my Bullsaki 250, my Yamaha 360mx and my Honda TT 500 of which all I raced. I owe many a win in part to the brothers. In the world of bikes, Bassani Ruled, hands down, across the USA.
If I offended anybody with one of Darryl's pieces on their Truck, I am very sorry. The fact is, if you talk to him he will tell you he doesn't have a "true," set up for the 4.3/5.3/6.0, just parts to fab one together. I love the guy and his Bike Pipes, now even for Harleys. He made my life while racing more competitive.
Respect to him and a brother moved on is well deserved
Greek

Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 AM

I just wanted the new guys to read this HP update format.
Greek

Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM

What bout tha ones that doesnt have fuel injection or a computer on their truck?

Old 11-30-2006, 08:29 PM

I sent you a response to your email you sent me today. Hope it helps
=Here is the response I sent him. I hope you don't mind me sharing it=
You can, if you want to go to a Fuel Injection system; go to Edelbrock and pick up 40bhp. You get a PCM with it and you can then have it pre programmed for headers, ECT.
Otherwise, look towards the following ------------->>>>>>>>>>>
1.) Headers, long tube - If you have Cats, we can discuss that later.
2.) RV Cam - Pick up a honest 25-30bhp (BHP = HP AT REAR WHEELS)
3.) Depending on your block; I assume it's a 5.7/350, replace the heads going so far as getting an Edelbrock Total Performance Package which = 50-70BHP (@rear wheels). The Total Performance Package includes Heads, Cam, Intake and Carb. One Hell of a GREAT setup and Deal!
Here is what I did to my 72' 350 C10 (It was a 1/4 ton, smog'd to sht)
1.) Had it STROKED to 383ci (Big bore, short stroke)
2.) Added Performer Heads
3.) I had an AGGRESSIVE Isky Cam in & an Edelbrock Tarantula Manifold.
4.) Went to an Edelbrock 850 Double PumpR' with MECHANICAL NOT Air induced secondary's.
5.) Went to a 4:56 12 bolt rear end on Race weekend, 4:10 cruising Whitter Blvd Quad - Could have used a Ford 9". 375bhp +/- 5% (rear wheel HP) after motor was finished. After just the bottom end was done, it was figured that I was getting 390HP from Bare Block w/out heads on up. I tell you, if you’re a wrencher you can do it yourself.
You can get to a Performance shop and get a 420hp stroker setup done as either a 377 or 383 for you. Or you can just buy something like a ZZ4 Crate motor 350/350hp and then start beefing it up with boltons. You can also get and assortment of Small/Big Block "TURN KEY," crate motors. No matter what you do, the tranny and rear end have to be strong. Auburn Ring/Pinion and a Hefty Turbo 400 will handle ANY new "TURN KEY," GM SB/BB Crate Motors. I have included some links I think you may like. Drool away racer and remember, HAVE FUN!@!
1.) 377 Stroker = 4.155" x 3.48" (5.7 or 6.0 rod) - 400 block and a 350 crank with "spacer" main bearings
2.) 383 Stroker = 4.030" x 3.75" (5.7 or 6.0 rod) - 350 block and a 400 crank, main bearing crank journals cut to 350 size
===============LINKS OF INTEREST===============
GM SMALL BLOCK MOTORS
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...nGd6BtZ1OW7PSt
GM BIG BLOCK MOTORS
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...locks-C54.aspx
GM GOODWRENCH MOTORS
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...gines-C63.aspx
HOW TO PICKTHE RIGHT ONE FOR YOU
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...cle-W1C63.aspx
EDELBROCK TOTAL PERFORMANCE PACKAGES
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...age_main.shtml
Good Luck Guy and Never Give UP !@!