Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   still having the problem.... (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/still-having-problem-6274/)

72charger 02-21-2008 12:49 AM

still having the problem....

Okay so there have been dozens of new faces on here and I thought I'd try out my luck again. I'm still having the problem with my truck which is basically this:

If I drive it for say 20-30 minutes straight and then park it and let it sit for maybe an hour or more, when I go to start it it'll stall out and the starter just starts kicking over real fast. If I start it again, sometimes it'll stall out a second time, other times it'll spit and sputter and then finally come to life. It'll always start by the 3rd time and after that you won't have any more problems with it period. The fuel pump doesn't whine. It does buzz for like 2 seconds when you turn the key to the "ON" position so I know it is priming it correctly. Does anyone have a foggy clue what the problem could be? The truck runs like a scalded dog and never stalls out, hesitates, or sputters any other time except in the coniditions as stated.

I'D REALLYAPPRECIATE YOU FOREVER IF YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY TRUCK!

Argon 02-21-2008 04:46 AM

RE: still having the problem....

never got a ses light?

72charger 02-21-2008 10:10 AM

Nope. And I'm going on SEVERAL months of it doing this now so I know the fuel pump isn't about to crap out.

May not be related but I have the fleeting speculation that my gas cap isn't holding pressure in my gas tank. It doesn't ever make the pressure releasing/venting sound when I remove it to put in more fuel like most cars do.

tayoz00 02-21-2008 11:59 AM

u discconect the battery yet?

72charger 02-21-2008 11:26 PM

No. Why would I need to disconnect the battery? I mean if you really think that'll change something I'll try it but I'm not sure how that could change anything other than resetting the ECU.

Cvtsax 02-21-2008 11:32 PM

Are you sure that your starter is not going out? If its ok you might want to still check to make sure that the starter pinion is notsticking or flywheel teeth are worn or broken.

jcbst12 02-22-2008 09:13 AM

Just for the hell of it, run some Sea Foam or something like that through it. It might just be water or something in your tank.

motoguy 02-22-2008 12:30 PM

i know i know i know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just did this to my buddys truck, he was having the exaxt same problem. 17$ part. its your fuel pressure regulator bro

motoguy 02-22-2008 12:33 PM

your gas tank doesnt need to be pressurized

gpet6669 02-22-2008 05:42 PM

If it is not the fuel pressure regulator then I would have to guess the injectors may be loading up the cylenders. That is the only thing that I can think of for this type of problem but usually it is oil not fuel. A good way to tell if it is loading up the cylenders (besides tearing into the motor) is when it does it, have some one else start it for you and you stand back by the exhaust pipe and if you smell oil then its oil and it will smoke pretty bad. But if you smell raw fuel, than it is the injectors probably clogges on those occations and is staying open when it is shut off evacuating all the residual pressure of fuel into the cylender.

72charger 02-22-2008 09:46 PM

Well it's not the fuel pressure regulator. It was recommended that I replace that when this first started happening and I replaced it with a BorgWarner fuel pressure regulator from O'reilly's and it had the same problem. I immediately noticed a bit more throttle response after doing swapping it but it started having the same problem like a week later and has been ever since. I guess it's possible the one I got is a piece of junk and messed up already but I don't know.

Also, the exhaust exits out of the side so I can see it when it smokes/steams. It never smokes or spits or anything like that. The only time I ever see anything is when it's cold outside and the truck is warm(typical). I'll still try having someone else start it the next time I have a chance for it to have the problem and see if I smell anything.

What are the chances the fuel pressure regulator went bad again and that is what is wrong? I talked to some guys at the local Chevrolet dealership and they said that problem was only on the 99-02 Chevy pickups but by 03 they had fixed the problem. Thoughts? Any help or input is appreciated.

motoguy 02-23-2008 10:22 PM

damn, and here i thought id gotten some recognitiuon and help out a fellow chevy owner

rxsteven 02-23-2008 10:28 PM

Well good try anyway Motoguy LOL

72charger 02-24-2008 08:37 AM

Forgot to mention I also ran a full can of Seafoam and a thing of Heet in it on my last fill up as well.

72charger 02-24-2008 08:38 AM

What are the chances the Borg Warner fuel pressure regulator just sucks and crapped out already after only a week of being installed?

rxsteven 02-24-2008 09:39 AM

Maybe!!

moose 02-24-2008 11:09 AM

A friend had a similar problem. He thought it was bad gas, then fuel line, then gas filter, then starter. He had great difficulty starting even after a few minutes of running for an hour or so. His solution was in the ignition switch. He changed it and no more starting problems. Your problem sounds a little different, but who knows!

72charger 02-24-2008 07:05 PM

Well I ordered a new fuel pressure regulator today and I'm gonna swap it out tomorrow and see how that works out. I've been noticeing over the past couple days that my throttle response really sucks as of late and when I swapped fuel pressure regulators the first time it restored quite a bit of throttle response. So I'll see how it goes and let ya'll know what happens.

Cvtsax 02-24-2008 08:36 PM

Would a bad fuel pressure regulator cause a check engine light to come on or not?

stopspazinout 02-25-2008 02:38 PM

charger does it only do this after its been running ie hot starts?

72charger 02-25-2008 07:16 PM

It only does it after running say 20-30 minutes straight then parking for an hour or two.

I changed the fuel pressure regulator and immediately noticed quite a gain in throttle response. I'm hoping that was it. By the way is there some kinda break-in thing or procedure after installing it? I just installed it and went booking it up and down the highway for a few minutes to see if it was running different. Definately noticed a difference but not sure if doing this right after installing it will cause it to go bad prematurely or something.

stopspazinout 02-25-2008 07:29 PM

no theres no break in. but some of those borg warner parts are actually worse then delco. is the price of a delco regulator too high? because i would look into a delco regulator.

72charger 03-11-2008 11:44 PM

Well after replacing the fuel pressure regulator(again) about 2 weeks ago, I've experienced the problem about 3 times again. I just don't know what else to do now. I can't afford to take it to the dealership for them to just tell me the fuel pump has a bug in it. I don't know what else to do though.... (Is this the part where I get told "sucks to be you/take it to a shop"?)

gpet6669 03-12-2008 10:41 AM

Kinda sucks to be you in that truck, you may love the truck. But they are all trowaways nowadays. Everybody is thinking it, I am just the one saying it. If you cannot find the problem and it is not throwing a code the shops are going to take a lot of time and money to find it, if they do find it. I would say if you can try and get it on a lemmon law thing. If it is too old for that, sell it out right and buy another used truck. That is if the problem is bugging you that much. Good luck, and don't put more money into the truck that you may not get out of it!

rxsteven 03-12-2008 01:51 PM

Are you kidding thats more like a challenge get rid of the truck no way man try some other forums somebody has to know whats going on with that thing dont you have a programmer maybe its something in the program try to get a fuel pressure gage and mount it were you can keep a eye on it but dont get rid of it you love that truck and try some other forums like these the bottom one gmfullsize is real cool I spend allot of time there. good luck bud and keep youre head up you find the prob.

http://www.ls1truck.com/
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/index.php
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/index.php

gpet6669 03-12-2008 02:16 PM

Hey I was just giving some options!

72charger 03-12-2008 11:46 PM

I'll try some more forums man. Thanks for opinions guys. I love the truck to death but quite frankly with gas the way it is here I'm on the verge of parking it until I can sell it. It would be nice to fix that problem before I sell it so that it isn't a hinderence on selling it but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess. I have actually been putting serious thought into selling my Supra once I get the top end of the motor rebuilt and buying a bike to commute around on. I know there dangerous but 40+ mpg is me ALL DAY LONG!!

gpet6669 03-13-2008 09:25 AM

I also have a bike that I can commute on, they are great if the weather stays nice. Other than right now my back is fricking killing me, I am sapposed to get cortizone shots and steriods injected soon. Then maybe I can ride the bike again.

72charger 03-13-2008 10:07 AM

Sheesh, that sucks man. Good luck with that.

I imagine it's gonna be rough for me to find a bike I can be comfortable on for extended times cause I'm 6',2" and most of that is in my legs. Just don't know yet.

gpet6669 03-13-2008 10:43 AM

get a bigger cruiser. Then make sure that you get some highway pegs on it. That will allow you to streach out and relax, also the cruiser you can put saddle bags on and use it to commute with some smaller items with out having to wear a backpack like you would have to with a crotch rocket. I have owned both and currenty own a Boulavard C50(cruiser). Well look for what you want then try and buy a new bike just becouse you don't know how the previous person road, or if they dropped it.

72charger 03-27-2008 11:16 PM

RE: still having the problem.... UPDATED

Okay so I went to ls1truck.com and took the advice of several seasoned(seamingly) guys about my truck. I replaced the fuel filter with a top quality fuel filter. I bought a fuel pressure tester and tested the truck.It idles at 49psi(checked at schrader valve on fuel rail). It is also pulling the same psi prettymuchuntil I've got it up about 5,000rpm and then it drops down to 48psi. Most have saidalthough that is on the bottom end of the spectrum ofacceptance, it is still an acceptable reading. I also tested to see if it was holding pressure after being turned off. It drops to 48psi when turned off, holds pretty good for a bit and slowly dwindled down to about16-17psi after an hour or so. Idisconnected the tester(which drops thepressure down to zero in the rail) and fired the truck up after sitting for an hour. It has no problems whatsoever firing up so I know for a fact this problem only occurs after it's been driven for 20-30 minutesstraight like I mentioned before.

So far, I've got about 2-3 guys saying fuel pumps bad, I've got about 4 guys saying the Crankshaft Position Sensor is bad although twice as many have said it'll throw a code if it has the slightest problem, and I still have a few saying the pressure regulator is bad. At this point I'm open to any and all death threats, hate mail, and random wildconjectures.

Cvtsax 03-27-2008 11:22 PM

dang man that sucks.....I really have no clue. Did you test the injectors or anything?

72charger 03-27-2008 11:26 PM

Nope. It's my daily driver so I can't really afford to take all that apart and inspect them. Although a couple guys have said I might have a partially clogged injector which is cuaing it to stick open and bleed into the combustion chamber.... Which doesn't make any sense when you think about it. My truck is stalling out when I start it.... an absense of fuel or so it seems. Although you can clearly here the fuel pump prime the lines when you turn the key over. It'll start, stall. Then start, stumble, sputter, and sometimes stall again. After that it start right up(usually) and it's PERFECTLY fine afterwards and you could drive it across the country like that.

rxsteven 03-27-2008 11:42 PM

That sucks man I wish I could help. Id just let it go and see if anything comes about if you know it will start all the time than f. it. Just if you got a hot chick with you act like you forgot about your kill switch. Hell use it to get some you can park somewhere and say it wont start bada bing bada boom your married and pissed off about it.

72charger 03-27-2008 11:47 PM

LOL, I'll have to remember that kill switch thing next time I get the look. I had pretty much decided a few weeks ago I was gonna just ignore it and go on with life till it stopped running. Then about a week ago I was at Wal-mart, I was in the store maybe an hour tops, came out and tried to start it and it wouldn't start for like 5 times in a row. Normally it only takes 2 times and it's running, no prob. But that scared me the other day. So now I'm not sure whether to ignore it or take it for a real concern.

jcbst12 03-28-2008 10:23 AM

Anyone suggest to you that a coil pack might be bad or startingto go bad? Like it just getts too hot after 30 minutes of driving and will not put out enough power til it cools down?

72charger 03-28-2008 11:09 AM

Nope. I suppose it might be possible but #1, it's never missfired, and #2, once I get it cranked it's fine. I have REALLY been leaning more towards this being an electrical problem as well, I just can't think of what. Almost everyone with experience I've talked to has said although it sounds like an electrical problem, almost anything like that would trip a check engine light. And I haven't had any check engine lightscome on.

wellmax 03-30-2008 06:58 PM

read all the input you have had on the problem.

I know this is elementary compare to all the help you have had from GM gearheads.

How long has it been since you gave theengine a good tuneup.
New wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor button?

I know it cost about $250 to tuneup with all AC Delco parts, but AC Delco partshave worked well in myold 350 engine and I plan on replacing them with AC Delco.

I had a transmission problem with my truck and could not figure out what it was, GM tech ran the codes for me for $35. At least I knew what was wrong, got someone else to fix problem.

Good luck,

72charger 03-30-2008 11:42 PM

The truck doesn't need a tune up. First of all it only has about 43,500 miles on it. The factory plugs are designed to go 100,000 miles(AC Delco Iridiums), I just replaced the fuel filter, and the engine oil only has about 2,500 miles on it(Mobile 1 5w30). The check engine light hasn't come on.

What I think I've desided to do is just ignore the problem as long as I can until I either have the money to take it to the dealer or just trade the thing in on something else all together. Despite being hard to start sometimes, it still does start without fail.

72charger 09-06-2009 05:02 PM

Would ya'll believe this problem has been gone for like a year and has just now started back?! Someone please set my truck on fire so I can go get a new one.