Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

still having the problem....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default still having the problem....

Okay so there have been dozens of new faces on here and I thought I'd try out my luck again. I'm still having the problem with my truck which is basically this:

If I drive it for say 20-30 minutes straight and then park it and let it sit for maybe an hour or more, when I go to start it it'll stall out and the starter just starts kicking over real fast. If I start it again, sometimes it'll stall out a second time, other times it'll spit and sputter and then finally come to life. It'll always start by the 3rd time and after that you won't have any more problems with it period. The fuel pump doesn't whine. It does buzz for like 2 seconds when you turn the key to the "ON" position so I know it is priming it correctly. Does anyone have a foggy clue what the problem could be? The truck runs like a scalded dog and never stalls out, hesitates, or sputters any other time except in the coniditions as stated.

I'D REALLYAPPRECIATE YOU FOREVER IF YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY TRUCK!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Default RE: still having the problem....

never got a ses light?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM
TruckForum Addict

Nope. And I'm going on SEVERAL months of it doing this now so I know the fuel pump isn't about to crap out.

May not be related but I have the fleeting speculation that my gas cap isn't holding pressure in my gas tank. It doesn't ever make the pressure releasing/venting sound when I remove it to put in more fuel like most cars do.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 AM

u discconect the battery yet?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:26 PM
TruckForum Addict

No. Why would I need to disconnect the battery? I mean if you really think that'll change something I'll try it but I'm not sure how that could change anything other than resetting the ECU.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:32 PM

Are you sure that your starter is not going out? If its ok you might want to still check to make sure that the starter pinion is notsticking or flywheel teeth are worn or broken.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Just for the hell of it, run some Sea Foam or something like that through it. It might just be water or something in your tank.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 PM

i know i know i know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just did this to my buddys truck, he was having the exaxt same problem. 17$ part. its your fuel pressure regulator bro

Old 02-22-2008, 12:33 PM

your gas tank doesnt need to be pressurized

Old 02-22-2008, 05:42 PM

If it is not the fuel pressure regulator then I would have to guess the injectors may be loading up the cylenders. That is the only thing that I can think of for this type of problem but usually it is oil not fuel. A good way to tell if it is loading up the cylenders (besides tearing into the motor) is when it does it, have some one else start it for you and you stand back by the exhaust pipe and if you smell oil then its oil and it will smoke pretty bad. But if you smell raw fuel, than it is the injectors probably clogges on those occations and is staying open when it is shut off evacuating all the residual pressure of fuel into the cylender.

Quick Reply: still having the problem....