Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Stuck in 3rd, speedo and tach stay at 0

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Default Stuck in 3rd, speedo and tach stay at 0

'98 Chevy 5.0, 4L60e

Hey guys and girls:

From the past posts I've been reading, this is not a rare problem. Driving yesterday, my speedo started going all wacky, jumping all over. Eventually, it stopped reading altogether, along with the tach and odometer not working. Also, the gearshift indicator is off. The truck starts in 3rd and stays there. Check Gages flashes/blinks. SES light came on. I replaced the cheap and easy VSS but that didn't correct the problem. Had Autozone read the codes:

P1860 - PWM electrical solenoid fault
P0740 - TCC enable circuit
P0753 - 2 shift solenoid valve performance
P0758 - 3 shift solenoid valve performance
*** all codes mention open or short condition

Basically it's telling me that 4 solenoids all failed simultaneously? Hard to believe. I've also read that the ignition switch can be the cause of the tranny not shifting properly. I have had several ignition problems that seem to also point to the ignition switch. Previous owner installed remote starter but removed it before I bought it and now the dash wiring is a mess.

Opinions? Did I really lose 4 solenoids??? I'm nearly sure it's the ignition switch, especially after all the other weird issues I've had. On this truck, does anyone have the specific removal/replace procedure? I've only been able to find general info. Some say the steering wheel has to be removed, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Im pretty sure its ur ignition switch. That switch gives power to the tranny's solenoids and all the electrical parts in there. Your in limp mode and this happens when there is a problem with the wiring. Usually the switch will build resistance as will all eletrical parts and eventually go bad. The switch is easy to replace. Its just an electrical box. Dont think you need to remove the steering wheel, just the cover around the base.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the input. I have a shop I trust to tell me whatever the problem is for free so I should know tomorrow. I would normally handle it myself but I just don't have the time to do it myself this week. Gonna have to pay I'll update as soon as I know!

Last edited by dmccartyfan; 06-14-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM

Well, as suspected, the ignition switch was bad. Had the shop do the work cuz I just didn't have the time. They tell me the transmission is in great shape still. The wrench monkey ground grease and oil into my carpet, smeared grease all over my dash and steering wheel - so I'm not too happy about that... anyway, it's fixed (hopefully) and that d@mn switch was causing so many other problems that I'll be very happy to have this over and done with. Now, the water pump I replaced less than a year ago is bad...

Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 AM

Dam that sux. But its better than a bad tranny. Try puttin in some of that Royal Purple coolant additive. Its great for lubrication for the pump.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM

thx for the suggestion ruffneck!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:38 PM

No problem.