Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension lift vs body lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Default RE: suspension lift vs body lift

JCBST12 I would have to disagree with you about the differences in the lifts. The main difference is that the suspension lift will get the FRAME higher. Other than that, like it was mensioned the bdy lift keeps the truck ride exacltly the same. Now here is where it all gets out of hand, when you put bigger tires and rimes on it, it will start to ride rougher and you will loose handeling and braking. If you really want to know what the differences are, here you go!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 PM

I know a guy that has 2 pucks in each spot on his truck right now. Im trying to talk him into doing a third but he said he would have to extend some things.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 AM

Yeah I'm adding a 2" body lift to my truck. If I ever get the time to put it on ( my dad works all the time, he is only home on Saturdays, otherwise he would do it.) I'm only doing it for looks and making my truck appear taller. But I would go with suspension lift most definitely. It may be harder and more expensive, but once you get it on you will like much better. Plus you wont have to worry about a gap between the frame and the body, that looks ridiculous unless you cover up.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 AM

First, sorry I could not find my old post with all of the ins and outs of the two different types of lifts.

Second, they make frame covers that make it look more natural and unaltered. I could care less about that part.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:37 PM

All I know is that my old truck road like stock with a body lift, but didn't look all that impressive. My co-worker has the same truck I used to have, has a 6" suspension lift, rides better than my old one with same diameter, but slightly wider tires than I had. BUT he spent close to $200 for THEIR tie-rod ends which he went through 4 in 5 years.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Yeah you can buy those covers, but they come separately. Still suspension lifts are alot better.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:36 PM

I agree, essecially if you are planning on using it for off road. But nowadays who can afford to go offroad anymore? I know I cannot! As for the lift the guy used on his truck, it was probably a good lift. Some lift companys sell soft ride lifts, that is what I prefer. Mainly becouse you get more travel out of the new susp and it keeps the ride quality there. Good shocks can usually take care of the ride issues with a stock truck, perticularly in the 1/2 ton models. Fords have always bounced, they cannot seem to get it to stop. Go over a speed bump in a chevy and you get a firm but cushind susp travel, the ford is still bouncing! Keeping the susp stock will keep the costs down when you brake something, the ford is STILL bouncing! But you will brake stuff easier. There are two different things that a lift does, the ford is still bouncing! One, gives you a higher clearance for bigger tires and two it gives you more susp travel (Most lifts will). Nowadays if you lift a truck it is for more looks, not fuctionality. We have gotten our priorities mixed up. Lift a truck put bigger tires on it and now you have a more capable truck. Just today I was reading the classifieds and saw a 1991 Chevy Z-71 with a 13" lift and has never seen the mud! (It saidthat in the ad) That is crap! 13" is a lot to start with, but still crap. Feasability! That is all that I am saying. Thatd@mnford is still bouncing!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 PM
TruckForum Addict

The main reason why i went with a body lift is because the price and all i wanted was to make my tires and rims fit a little better and not have a big suspension lift. I did and have not seen a different in ride and i think it looks great on the nbs. The obs dont look as good.

Name:  Bodyliftpictures008.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  111.5 KB

Old 06-22-2008, 11:16 PM
TruckForum Addict

That's a pretty good lookin truck except for the fact that it's missing the trim on the back door, LOL!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 AM
TruckForum Addict

Yeah its all coming off and getting linex down the rocker panels.